Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
What was bound to happen?
I must be missing something at that site.

I live 2 exits down from that statue! I have never seen that site before!

I find it in poor taste even though I am a Christian.

Amy

ETA: I found it. Mildly amusing, although technically offensive.

I bet money if it were poking fun at a statue of another religion's god it would be seriously frowned upon.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I'm Catholic and find the statue kind of icky for some reason. I looked at the site and laughed in spite of myself, and then felt guilty about laughing. :LOL

I have seen it IRL too, I always wonder what exactly the church leaders were thinking, and then I think that they must have waaaaaaaaaaay too much money if they commissioned something like that.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
I live a few exits from it and pass it going to my sil's house. What cracks me up is the fact that even though we've passed it 100 times I still gawk. It is so tacky. At least they don't light it up at night. At least it wasn't when I've passed by at night.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
we pass it all the time between home and cincinnati where family lives. I think it's creepy, even though I really do honor and try to practice the teachings of Jesus. As a practicing Buddhist, I think the giant Buddha statues in Asia are also overkill and a waste of energy, although I admit I think most of them are a lot more beautiful than the giant Jesus.

All that said, it's also a waste of energy and really nasty to ridicule others' religious symbols.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What was bound to happen was someone making fun of the statue like that.

I'm a Christian too and the statue bugs me. Dh didn't find it nearly as funny.

The story is that it was a misjudgment on the part of the builder. They misinterpretted the size. My thought is, then why not stop. The leaders should have realized before it was finished that it was too big.

The other thing is that it is the same exit as the Largest Hustler store and it is right down the road from a huge fleamarket (like luxury fle market) that has this HUGE anatomically correct horse rearing up on his hind legs :LOL

It is in the edge of their baptismal pool. I hear they also have a very large neon lighted dove on the inside of their sanctuary.

Rumor has it that the man who built the church has lots of money. Their os a ranch on the opposite side of the road, not sure if it is north or south, that matches the church style wise. That is the guy who built the church.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Well being Christian I shouldn't laugh at it, but really it's just a statue. I don't believe in statues of Jesus; there are simply man-made structures made to look like what we think Jesus looks like. True faith does not involve highly decorated statues. Yeah it's pretty, but so what if it falls? God never will.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.