Mothering Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>My ds is 15 months old.  He has to be bounced to sleep every nap and bedtime.  Very occasionally, if he is extra tired or sick I can get him to sleep nursing or rocking.  He doesn't even fall asleep in the car or the Ergo anymore.  Sometimes I only have to bounce him 10 or 20 minutes, but often it is an hour or more.  I am over it.  Some days it's fine and I feel okay, but many days I feel resentful and angry and sad.  It has to change.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I had myself in the same predicament with dd and didn't make the transition until she wad 17 or 18 months.  She had a full mattress on the floor in her own room.  I started with naps in that room, laying her down 500 times in an hour, alternating nursing, baby carrier, lying her down, holding her down, etc.  We eventually figured it out and then did the same thing with bedtime.  I also night weaned her (for a 5 hour stretch) around the same time.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>We do not have a room for ds.  He naps in a crib in our bedroom and I put him to bed there before we go to bed.  He is asleep when I put him down, and if he wakes up I have to bounce him again.  Sometimes when things get particularly bad I will put him in the crib and hang out in my room with him for 15-20 minutes, but he cries the whole time and won't even lie down.  It does serve to give me a break (sort of) and wear him out a little, but neither of us likes it.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>The kicker for me right now is that he goes to daycare two days a week and they talk about what a great sleeper he is...they put him down on his cot and he lies down and goes to sleep.  It just makes me want to cry -- is this all my fault?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>So, I know that a routine will help.  I can do that at bedtime, but I'm not sure how it will work at nap time, especially because I have an almost 4yo who can't leave us alone/be quiet for more than 10 minutes at a time (today she woke him up 3 different times when I was just getting him to sleep because she came running in screaming at me about one thing or another).  Also, sometimes he needs a nap before lunch, and sometimes not until after.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Ideas and support would be much appreciated.</p>

1 - 1 of 1 Posts