Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well while I was attempting to take a shower this morning my 5 and 6 year old daughters proceeded to write the words "Gree Day " all over the walls, dressers, toy chests and anywhere else they could think of with a black Sharpie marker.

I know it may sound like a horrible punishment to some, but I have them in there attempting to scrub it off with soapy water and a washcloth. They have been at it for 3 hours. Obviously to no avail but, I want them to realize the consequences of defacing their stuff.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get it off???? I rent and with it all over the walls it could cause some serious issues with my landlord, and plus I would really rather the girls furniture to be "Gree Day" free.

I also told them when their brother is listening to Green Day in his room that they were no longer allowed to be in there listening to it with him.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Mr clean magic eraser may work--not as evil as some think.
Other things to try--steel wool, any abrasive cleanser (including baking soda), any spray cleanser you have--different things work on different surfaces. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
nail polish remover will take it off surfaces that it's safe to use that on. Otherwise, get some primer and paint from your maintenance person & go over those spots on the walls yourself because nail polish remover (acetone) will take the wall paint off, too.

Also: check your local tenant's rights laws about repainting. In OR, for example, units have to be repainted every 2 years or if you live there longer than 2 years, when you move out, so if you live in a place 2+ years they cannot legally charge you for repainting the unit.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I would try a magic eraser.

If you have baking soda in house - try that first - as a paste. It may help.

I have a feeling you will be buying a pint of some primer and another pint or so of matching wall paint, though.

s:

ooh, did you try the sharpie (or whatever brand it is) website? I had a crayola mishap recently and they were very helpful to me.

Just remembered - alcohol - you know the kind for disinfecting (not the drinking kind, lol although you may want some of that, too for this to calm) works really well for getting permanent marker off PLASTIC - I know this from many years of working in grocery stores and cleaning off name tags to rewrite the next employee's name on it. . . .

s:

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I will certainly be trying a few of them here in a minute.

I can't repaint the wall, it is paneling, and there is no way to paint over it, and I definately can't afford to repanel the entire bedroom.

I feel like a bad mom because if I had waited until they were in bed tonight to shower then it probably wouldn't have happened. We painted pumpkins last night and I discovered this morning that I had paint in my hair so, I didn't think it was a big deal. Guess that it what happens when mom walks out of the room for 10 minutes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts