Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to serging and would greatly appreciate the help of someone more experienced!
I love sewing and have been sewing since I was a child. It's my favorite hobby and one I'm willing to invest in.

My mother in law gifted me her Elna 925 DCX in quite good condition as far as I know. It was skipping some stitches, having some tension issues, etc, and as a brand new serger user I was struggling to figure it out. Just got it tuned up for $94 and it was working much better . . . until I flipped up the tilting needle head - and it broke off completely :frown: I am so disappointed and am wondering if I should invest maybe around $100 for the repair of the needle housing ( haven't gotten my official quotes back yet from local dealers) or if I should consider the $94 lost money and buy the Brother 1034D, which I'd had my eye on before my sweet mother in law gave me the Elna. When the local dealer tuned up the machine, he mentioned the tension was difficult on my particular machine because it's "older" and the "tension disks are wearing out." However, he kept trying to upsell me on a new serger, so I wondered if it was part of his ploy. I love the idea of having a solid original Elna that has been in the family .. . but not if it'll be a money hole.

Thank you so much to anyone who can offer a more experienced opinion. I am so excited to learn to use the serger!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have gotten a quote of $85 or more depending on how much labor the replacement requires. Anyone? Opinion? I notice the Elna has coverstitch whereas the Brother does not.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
What's the difference between the price of the repair on the current machine and the new machine? Personally I think it's always a best practice just in general to repair something if it can be made serviceable and it's not prohibitively expensive to do it, since that's better for the environment and pocketbook. And it sounds like your current machine has features the new one doesn't, so that probably tips the scale for you to get it repaired. And remember - you get what you pay for - so if you get the inexpensive Brother, how long will it last? Will you really get your money's worth?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts