Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have one of these and I LOVE it but its on the fritz, the bottom 2 shelves freeze everything and it builds up with frost about an inch thick at the bottom which is where the cooling fin thingies are behind the interior wall. I've got it narrowed down to the timer or heater failing. I can't even get a repair man out here because the home guys say its commercial and the commercial guys want me to bring it in which I can't do. I can replace both parts myself for less them $300 if I remember right. My concern is the fridge is 11 years old. According to reviews its common for this type of fridge to fail around 3 years old so I'm scared to replace it with a model that might be dead in 3 years. This is a major expense for me and is generally not something I can afford to replace but I will have the money to do so next month. I haven't been using the fridge the past couple months due to the freezing issue and its killing me just having the tiny apt fridge. I use the big fridge to hold stuff I get on sale like produce (which then lasts about 3 weeks in the fridge), almond milk, eggs, ect which are freaking expensive up here.

I would need to do the repair myself which doesn't look difficult. I'm just worried about its age but if I got a couple more years out of it it would be worth it. I'd like to take the money and replace my freezer which runs non stop and I want a bigger freezer to be able to buy direct from the farmer.

WWYD?

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I don't have any experience with a repair like that, but from the way you describe the situation I think I would go for it and fix it (esp since you love it).

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'd keep it just because you love it. Hopefully it lasts for the two years you're hoping for. Personally, I'd replace it because it's outdated though. As long as you can still buy its parts then I guess it's okay.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts