Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I misnamed my first title! Ugh. So sorry for the repost. Mods, if you can, please get rid of the thread with NW FL in the title.

Hello ladies. It sounds like you all (throughout FL) are some wonderful people from what I've been able to glean from the threads I've read in the last couple of days! I'm hopeful that I might meet some of you andthat we might become great friends.

My DH and I are sure that we are moving to the area comprised of Flagler Beach, Palm Coast, Daytona, Bunnell, etc... but we're not sure where we will be exactly. You see, the forces of the universe/God (however you prefer to think of it) have brought things in such alignment as to directly point us to a move into the area I've described. While I know that the timeframe of that same force/God is not the same as my own, I also believe that when given guidance, it is up to me to put some work in. As in: pray as if everything depends on God, but work as if everything depends on me!

Ok, so this is getting long. I appologize and hope you will bear with me!

I've been researching online for jobs for DH, as he is our family's breadwinner, but I've felt discouraged because it seems the work he does isn't well listed even though we know from contacts in the area that it's very much available and even in need. DH is a chef. He's completed his culinary (2year) degree and has worked in the field for almost 3 years (but cooked all his life). For the last year he's been working in management within the kitchen (Sous Chef and Executive Chef positions). So, we're looking for a position that will enable him to use his skill (he's extremely skilled and gifted with food combinations and recipes) with food as well as management abilities.

So, here is my request for help: If you have any information that you think might help us, would you please PM me? (Information I can think of, but certainly is not limited to, are things like: actual jobs you may have heard of and listing services I may not be aware of - I've been sort of stuck in the newspapers and craigslist).

I sincerely appreciate the time you have spent reading through this post and will surely appreciate (at least doubly) any assistence you might offer!! Thank you, in advance!

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
Hi,
I'm not a Florida mama, but I saw your post and just wanted to respond. My DH is also a Chef (tough job, isn't it?!) and we're thinking about moving in the future as well- not sure where, but we'd like to move somewhere where the cost of living is more reasonable.
Anyway- I've been looking for him on careerbuilder.com and there seem to be a lot of listings all over the place.
Just wanted to suggest that in case you haven't tried it yet

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much mama2babybeans! I haven't checked that, but definitely will now!!! THANK YOU!!!!

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mostly just bumping in hopes of finding more suggestions, but addding some questions as well.... probably will have to make a new thread. (?)

What are the good neighborhoods in Flagler Beach, Palm Coast, and St. Augustine? Where would you suggest living if you were advising someone from out of state? Schools are not an issue, just the quality of the neighborhood.

Thank you, in advance for any response!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Gosh that is really hard, St Augustine is nice, but a bit pricey, but it has the tourism for the restaurant industry, and some awesome restaurants, hotels, and country clubs.
Actually the whole area does.
We were "driven" to move to FL in that weird sort of way, and moved to SW FL 8 years ago, and then 2 years ago, I got that "feeling" again and we moved to Jax. I like it here, and don't miss where we used to live, but I can understand having that "draw" to be somewhere other than where you are.
My dh and I were in the restaurant hospitality business for almost 10 years, we both were chefs, and had met in culinary school. I did a lot of research for the "retauranty" towns, and FL really was a big hit.
DH is still somewhat in the food industry now, as a driver-delivery of food products, only after being a truck driver for 4 years, is he somewhat back into it.
Good luck in whatever you decide, you may want to check out: http://www.city-data.com/ before you make any definate decision.
Donna

·
Registered
97 Posts
i was going to suggest looking for jobs in st. augustine too. i grew up there--it's a beautiful town. definitely visit at least. because of the tourism there's lots of restaurants and some fancier hotels too. the vcb's website lists a lot of restaurants -- in case you just wanted to send out resumes. it's www.visitoldcity.com

st augustine's getting expensive as far as housing--i'm not sure where you're coming from so that may or may not be a shock for you. as far as good neighborhoods--the only place i probably wouldnt live is over on the west side--seems to me that the town has been able to push everyone that's not "desirable" over there. when i lived there we didn't worry about crime/violence really at all. these are my observations from 6 years ago though--that's when i moved to georgia. and yes, the town has grown and changed a LOT--but my dad still lives there, so i still visit and have some sort of link to it.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you SO much Donna and amjs!!! I'm beginning to look at the links you shared just now and I'm sure they will be helpful! I really appreciate the help you've offered and look forward to suggesting a few places for my DH to check out while he's still down there job hunting. You're posts were VERY timely in that respect, he still has one full day left and then he has to get back to Orlando. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Although not that part of FL, my family and I are moving to the South Walton Area (AKA 30-A) between Destin and PCB. We just found out this weekend, as God/the universe aligned it all for us to move.

I have a position already, managing the grocery and stock depts of a health food store there, but we are trying to locate him a position. We've been operating off 1 income for a while and his health has not been the best, so this is the best choice for us, even though I am 39 weeks pregnant with our 3rd child.

We are just having to allow God/the universe to direct us and as you said, work like it's not and only us. I couldn't have said it better.

Good luck to you!
Lisa

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you, Lisa. Good luck to you and your family as well!! I'm glad it's proving to be an easy-ish transition! I think, when we're doing what is best for us, that is often the case!

·
Registered
598 Posts
Tori,

I live in Palm Coast and love it here!! If you know where to look, there are jobs to be found.

The main newspaper here is the Daytona Beach News Journal and there is another paper called the Daytona / Flagler Pennysaver. Either one of those would have job listings. I don't have the links handy but you can do a search for both and it should be the first or second result.

Good luck with your move and if you ever want to chat or have any questions, feel free to pm me

Amy

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Amy, thank you so much for responding and sharing that info with me! I'll definitely send a PM!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts