Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am scheduled to present to our local special ed students in a couple of weeks (just was contacted last week) and am trying to arrange to talk with the local PT/OT/ST groups at the colleges as well. I am trying to put together a presentation that talks about our journey through this world of having a kiddo with significant special needs and how it's changed the way I practice speech therapy and want to find some valid, more research based information regarding issues that families of kids with special needs face.<br><br>
I have gone on pubmed and found a few articles, but am afraid that I haven't used quite the correct terminology to find exactly what I want.<br><br>
I am also looking for articles/books/etc. that talk about processing through much of the grief of loss of dreams, adjusting expectations, finding hope, changing what a person hopes for.<br><br>
I have lots to say on the issue in my own words, but want to back up what I think with some good solid, more research based information.<br><br>
Anyone have any ideas about where to find that? I've googled, "pubmed'd," and have found a couple things, but nothing that's quite exactly right.<br><br>
Thanks!

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Sorry-who is the presentation for? Is it for children with special needs or adults? I'm not totally clear about the population you are talking about either? Are you focusing on the parent's experience of having a child with medical needs, learning disabilities, profound conditions? There's a wide range here, albeit with potential commonalities. You might want to specify whether you're looking at specific issues/conditions, or a more general individual or parenting perspective.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am presenting to college students in the special education department at our local university and hopefully to the physical, occupational and speech therapy students sometime in the future. My practice as a speech therapist has been profoundly impacted by my experiences on the "other side" as I now have a child with very significant special needs.<br><br>
I want to talk about family centered care, listening to families, the grief that families deal with, what professionals have done to make the journey one of hope and reality.<br><br>
I know there is data out there about marriage failure rates, depression, mental health, grief, coping, and what families want from the professionals involved in their child's care. That's what I'm looking for.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts