Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 10 weeks pregnant and nursing my 25 month old - I had preterm labor with him (pretty serious ptl - hospitalized at 33 weeks, yada yada yada) and I'm hoping to do some reading before I see my OB next week!

that way when we have the conversation about whether/when I should wean because of the ptl history, I'll know what I'm talking about!

anyone have resources/websites/articles/books for me?

thanks mamas!!

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
I found it really difficult to find any resources on breastfeeding in a high risk pregnancy. In my case DD was born at 34 weeks though I never went into labour with her.

I read as much as I could about breastfeeding through pregnancy in general.
http://www.kellymom.com/nursingtwo/faq/01safety.html
http://www.llli.org/NB/NBpregnancy.html

I also talked with my LLL leader about the risks which was quite reassuring.

In the end I felt it was safe for me to carry on as long as I didn't feel that nursing DD was causing contractions. I did cut her down quite a lot though since it was pretty painful. In the end I weaned her when I was about 30 weeks as I did feel that her nursing was setting off some pretty painful contractions.

It was a difficult decision but I wanted to do it gently rather than an abrupt end if I was rushed to hospital (which was a distinct possibility).

I sort of hoped that she would restart when DS was born but although she asked a couple of times she didn't know how to latch on any more.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I also couldn't really find any resources SUPPORTING it. Everything I read, my midwife and back-up OB told me NO NURSING while pregnant. (With my last two I started contracting HARD around 20-21 weeks, went on bedrest, hospital stays, yada, yada, yada and both came early, one at 32, one at 34 wks, so mine may be more serious than yours) I just couldn't find much about nursing during high risk pregnancies either. I wonder if people are just too afraid to give you the okay because it can very well cause all kinds of ptl issues... let me know if you do find some, though.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks mamas!

It's hard to find anything at all! I know he's gonna bring it up next week at my first appt and while I have no idea if he'll suggest weaning right away, I was sort of hoping I could do some reading first so I don't go into panic mode

I started contracting pretty hard at 25, wasn't hospitalized until 33 though, and he made it to 38 (thank goodness!)

I sort of want to keep going, and part of me wants to start gradual weaning (however you do that) just in case I have the same problem. sigh. Being a mom is so hard!

·
Registered
186 Posts
I think the danger also increase with the reason you went into ptl... in my case, I have some issue that almost guarantee a premature birth so if I got pregnant for my own sake and peace of mind I would wean but your reasons could be different and might be manageable to nurse through it... You might want to get a couple of opinion from LC or if it is possible to find a breastfeeding supportive perinatologist (don't know if those exists. lol) Whatever you decide, good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.