Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my cousin recently died from complications during childbirth, leaving a 4 yo, an 8 yo, and twin babies. i have been looking for some books or other resources that could be useful for her children (as well as my 5 yo who was also very close with my cousin). the death books i've seen have focused on the cycle of life, which to me doesn't adequately address an unexpected death. does anyone have anything to recommend??? thank you so much in advance.

· Premium Member
10,171 Posts
I am so sorry for your family's loss and for this mama's children and their father she left behind.

I checked amazon and typed in child grief and a huge assortment of very good books came up. I also emailed an aunt of mine who works as a grief consounsler to see what she suggests.

· Registered
45,796 Posts
Daddy's Chair is another one about losing a parent, and aimed at 4-8 year olds. The only caveat is that the main character loses his father, and it might be scary for kids who just lost their mother (will it make them think they're about to lose Daddy too?)

· Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all so much for your kind words and suggestions.

I am afraid to get any of the daddy books b/c I think the idea could be too scary. However I can't seem to find any that are particular to moms dying - if anyone knows of this, please let me know. Otherwise I'm going to go with some of the non-specific ones. There do seem to be a lot, with good reviews.

· Registered
7,957 Posts
I think explaining to your children's librarian and asking would be a good idea, too. They often know about books us ordinary folks haven't stumbled across yet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.