Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got restless leg at night and it is making me crazy and unable to sleep. Do any of you wise mommas have advice?

·
Registered
314 Posts
I read somewhere on here that using a heating pad at night helps. I tried it and it worked like a MIRACLE. I just put it on a medium setting and stick it between my calves (sleeping on my side of course) and it calms them down soooo nicely.

Also, it's a good idea to avoid sugar or caffeine for like 6 hours before bedtime.

And lastly, I have occasionally resorted to doing a 'shot' of apple cider vinegar, which also works wonders because it balances your blood sugar or something. Lol I wish I could be more scientific about it, but all I really know is that it works. The heating pad is more soothing than throwing back some vinegar though

HTH!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I've been taking a cal/mag supplement for about 2 weeks now and have totally stopped having that restless, "gotta move" kind of feeling.
Before I started the calcium/magnesium, I would wake up in the middle of the night to pee
and spend the next hour or two rolling around in bed. It's lots better now!

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
There was just a thread somewhere about putting a bar of soap under the sheets near your legs. You might be able to find it with a search.

mormontreehugger - The apple cider vinager.... do you dilute it with a bit of water first? I once tried to drink a tablespoon and it totally cut my airway off. I couldn't talk or breath for several seconds. I was scary!

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
I have also heard zinc deficiency is a common cause. I've known that I am zinc deficient (prob caused by hbc) because when I take it during illness, it always helps me feel better. Oh, and my hair is prematurely gray.
So I'm trying to take a little bit extra this pregnancy and hopefully prevent RLS.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I say get your hemoglobin and ferritin checked. RLS is commonly associated with anemia, which is something you're best to nip in the bud if you are affected.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the input.
I tried the apple cider vinegar last night b/c it was the one thing I had on hand but it didn't help.
My iron is often low and I had to supplement at the ned of my last pregnancy so I should check that and I'll try a few other ideas too. Anything for a decent nights sleep.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Seriously, the only thing that has worked for me is Magnesium and Calcium (together). I take a pill of both at night and my restless leg is *mostly* gone! Also, the Mg2+ has an added benefit of loosening the bowels, which eases my pregnancy-induced constipation

·
Registered
314 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by adoremybabe View Post
There was just a thread somewhere about putting a bar of soap under the sheets near your legs. You might be able to find it with a search.

mormontreehugger - The apple cider vinager.... do you dilute it with a bit of water first? I once tried to drink a tablespoon and it totally cut my airway off. I couldn't talk or breath for several seconds. I was scary!
haha yeah, NOW I dilute it. My mom had told me about it and I figured I just had to drink it straight. Then I told her what I was doing, and she just started laughing at me... and told me to mix it with water or something. I've also used it for heartburn.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I had restless legs with both of my pregnancies. The PPs all have good ideas for possible causes that I've heard of - low iron, zinc, magnesium. This last pregnancy I started taking Natural Calm (magnesium supplement powder). It worked perfectly! A warm glass of milk before bed helps me too. (Probably the calcium/magnesium).

I've searched a lot of threads on MDC about restless legs, and it seems like there are a lot of solutions that appear unrelated that work for different people. They all say they've had to try several different things before the found the solution that's right for them.

Good luck!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by GenomicsGirl View Post
Seriously, the only thing that has worked for me is Magnesium and Calcium (together). I take a pill of both at night and my restless leg is *mostly* gone!
Same Here! I have them preggy or not, my chiropractor told to make sure I was taking a quality/balanced cal/mag supplement... huge help

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I have very bad RLS since childhood, but it's gotten much worse now in my third trimester. Daytime exercise and trying to keep a regular sleep schedule are my main help (though not always effective) when not pregnant. I have tried herbal iron and cal-mag to reduce my symptoms to no avail.

Tomorrow I'm going to a Traditional Chinese Medicine doctor who specializes in pregnancy and women's health. I've read a few things online suggesting that acupuncture may help with RLS. I'll be sure to report back if it helps me.

Good luck in your quest to find what works for you!

·
Registered
529 Posts
I have found that being well-hydrated really helps me have less restless legs, even drinking water throughout the night. And even though that makes me have to pee, I have to get up to pee anyway!

·
Registered
6,777 Posts
A good liquid calcium & magnesium supplement has helped me, as has an epsom salt bath before bed.

·
Registered
164 Posts
oh man!
i started getting this in this pregnancy...
it was horrible until i invested in a hot water bag.

i fill it up just before i go to bed and it lasts all night!
the best 12 dollars i ever spent!
try it...i bet youll love it!

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I want to know more about the soap remedy! How many of you with RLS have tried putting soap in your bed? I've read a lot of good testimonials about it, but since I don't have RLS, I can't try it!

·
Registered
615 Posts
I have been having this problem, and I found out 2 weeks ago that I'm anemic. Started taking iron supplements and the RLS seems to be much, much less of a problem now. So for me, I think it's anemia related. I haven't tried the soap trick yet but am definitely going to if it starts up again. I'll also try adding a magnesium supplement, I'm already taking extra calcium.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts