Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had the follow up appointment with my son's pediatrician today after his UTI/hospital ordeal, and I'm fuming... I asked the pediatrician to NOT retract the foreskin, yet he did anyway... not like in the hospital where they retracted it all the way to the point of bleeding, but still, is that necessary??? Today he just pulled it back a little bit and gently, but what purpose could this serve? He was saying, yes, you should retract it a tiny bit like this and clean it when you bathe him. This goes against other things I've read, and I told him this, but he said since ds has had a UTI that this is different... that he needs to be cleaned. Should I get a new pediatrician, or is there ever a reason to retract it this young? (DS is 3 months old)

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
There's never any reason to do that, even a little bit, but you might have a hard time finding a ped who doesn't do it, depending on where you live. I have a new ped and he is the very first ped (out of probably 6 that we've had before) who doesn't retract a tiny bit every time he checks out the privates. This ped only touched the penis to move it out of the way when he checks the testicles. There's no reason to retract it.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
No, you don't need to retract him any more than you need to clean out a daughter with a Q-Tip and a wee douche.

It's irrelevant that he had a UTI.

Retraction is never necessary. If you want to attempt to educate him ask him to find a recent peer-reviewed study that shows that it is advisable to retract to clean in a child who has had a UTI. I'd not let him near the boy's penis until he recants, and I always wonder what other (damaging to the child) outdated and just plain WRONG information they have - I spect I'd get another ped, if possible.

You are more likely to introduce more foreign bacteria into the urethra by retracting and CAUSE a UTI.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by feebeeglee
You are more likely to introduce more foreign bacteria into the urethra by retracting and CAUSE a UTI.
ITA! No amount of retraction is necessary. The foreskin keeps the penis/urethra/urinary tract sterile. Messing with it even "a little bit" messes up the way the system is supposed to work. The Fleiss articles explain it a lot better.

There is a blurb in here about it too,
http://www.nocirc.org/statements/breastfeeding.php

Take care,
Tara

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
My son is 3 years old and I have NEVER EVER retracted his foreskin.He has never had a UTI or any other problem.The more you mess with a child's penis the more problems you will CAUSE.Your doctor needs to be educated and warned that providing incorrect care information to parents,which can harm intact children, will eventually lead to legal action down the road.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
There are 5 reasons why a physician would want to look inside the foreskin and the reasons why they are lame reasons:

Hypospadius/epispadius: This is where the urethra has not completely formed. If it is anything but the mildest case, it will be evident from the appearance of the foreskin. Mild cases do not need any treatment.

Infections: The foreskin is ultra sensitive and will show symptoms of an infection within 24-36 hours. The doctor would be incredibly lucky to just happen to find one before the symptoms showed on the outside. So lucky in fact, that he should not even check for them.

Meatal stenosis: I suspect that this is the most often justification for retracting the foreskin but it is just as bogus as all of the others. Meatal stenosis is a complication of circumcision and while very common in circumcised boys, it just never happens in intact boys.

Adhesions: Adhesions may not fully resolve until the child is in his late teens so looking for them in an infant or toddler is like looking for cars on an Interstate Highway.

Phimosis: The same reason as looking for adhesions. The way some doctors diagnose this is if the child screams when the foreskin is yanked back, he's got phimosis! It's like using a speculum on a girl and then declaring that she has a hymen and it must be cut out!

In other words, there is no legitimate reason to retract a boy's foreskin and the doctor should be reported along with a letter to him/her that you have reported him/her to their practice, the hospital and the state medical board and that you will no longer be using their services. If they are this ignorant about something this simple, imagine the damage they could do to your children for something serious!

It is not our job as a customer to have to train health care providers in the proper care of our families any more than it is our job to have to stand watch over an appliance repairman, plumber, electrician or auto mechanic. Why should doctors be an exception?

Frank

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What about to insert a catheter? At the ER when we went for the initial UTI diagnosis, to collect the urine they inserted a catheter and pulled back the foreskin ALL THE WAY to the point of some bleeding... should I sue? (only partially joking - I'm pretty pissed about it)

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by chai
What about to insert a catheter? At the ER when we went for the initial UTI diagnosis, to collect the urine they inserted a catheter and pulled back the foreskin ALL THE WAY to the point of some bleeding
No reason what-so-ever to do this. Speak up and send a nasty letter to the hospital.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Quote:

What about to insert a catheter? At the ER when we went for the initial UTI diagnosis, to collect the urine they inserted a catheter and pulled back the foreskin ALL THE WAY to the point of some bleeding... should I sue? (only partially joking - I'm pretty pissed about it)

From what I understand, they should be able to "fish" for the opening. That is gently move the catheter tube around until the opening of the urethra is found. With a skilled operator, there is no need to actually see the hole.

HTH,
Tara

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
You can sue but you would have to prove damage and that may be difficult to do. I would at the very least write strong letters to the practice, the doctor and the hospital he/she practices at.

There is absolutely no reason for the foreskin to be retracted. The urinary meatus more or less lines up with the preputial sphincter and for someone with any knowledge and experience at all, they should be able to easily find the meatus.

Frank

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
It's amazing that so many peds are so willing to retract a boys foreskin. We've had two different peds with our son (the first one wasn't breastfeeding friendly enough) and neither of them have even acted like they were going to retract his foreskin.

~Nay

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Yea, I was thinking that the ER retraction likely caused your DS's UTI. Same happened to mine, and I was even more livid than just over the retraction, b/c he was in there for RSV (a virus), and their incomptence ran a significant risk of introducing bacterial infection that he'd be way less able to fight off while dealing with a virus.

Idiots.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Quote:

No not even to insert a catheter.
Astounding that many medical professionals are ignorant about this.

Definitely write.

Please see the pamphlet titled "6.Answers To Your Questions About Premature (Forcible) Retraction of Your Young Son's Foreskin" at their website http://www.nocirc.org/publish/

1 - 15 of 15 Posts