Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ds is now 10 years old. A friend visited recently, and she has two intact sons of her own. She asked a question (we were talking about the challenges of getting 10 year old boys to bathe) about how often my ds retracts his foreskin to wash. Frankly, I don't know - I don't bathe him any more. She was horrified to think that he isn't regularly washing beneath his foreskin. According to dh (who is circ) ds appears healthy, no redness, doscomfort, etc.

How big a deal is this?

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
Its not a big deal. My son is nearly 9 and never retracts to wash either. Give it a few more years till they should think about it. My son already knows that he CAN do this- and I guess when its needed, he will.

·
Registered
14,239 Posts
It is the boys choice if he wants to wash under it or not. There is no need to do so until puberty hits and the hormones that come with it bring on the "manly" oders
even then retract, rince with water no soap and replace is all that they need to do. I am sure after they become sexually active they will want to wash more under there but using soap on the glans of the penis can sting and burn for some so a good rub with plan water usually does the trick.

The foreskin like the vagina is a self cleaning organ. As we know you shouldnt douch so you treat the foreskin the same way. As long as they bath regularly they are getting it as clean as it needs to be.

·
Registered
304 Posts
All I know is that ds (11) just recently became retractable, and that he told me it hurts to have running water on the glans or to touch it. I told him to every few showers, retract and just do a quick rinse. He's fine with that.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Honest to goodness, even a quick rinse every few showers is not necessary. 10 years old is rather young, and I would not be a bit surprised if the boys were not even retractible yet, that would be normal.

I agree with the PP who said that only if there is a strong odor should the boy need to wash. It's a lingering "victorian" additude to monitor the child to make sure his genitals don't smell and are clean. I mean, it's one thing if the child reaks, and there is some very noticable smell or something, but extreme cleanliness is one of those notions that is lingering around for quite some time.

The truth is that if your friend keeps on making the boys clean this area unnecesarily, it could upset the natural balance of good bacterias under the foreskin, leaving the bad bacterias to grow rampant, leading to infection. Meticulous cleaning is often the very reason that young boys end up getting constant infections leading them to end up (unnecessarily) getting circumcised.

Your friend should really leave the boys alone and let them do whatever they are comfortable with. Too soon, they will turn their attention to the girls, and will begin to get embarrassed and self concious if they have a particularly strong odor, and will give proper attention to the area according to whatever is necessary. Some young men need and are comfortable with soap, some are fine with a quick swish in plain water. They will know what to do when the time is right.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Normally I'd agree with you, but if that 10 year old has body odor and is in the throws of the teen years a bit early, as my son is, than yes, he should occasionally wash.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gabysmom617
Honest to goodness, even a quick rinse every few showers is not necessary. 10 years old is rather young, and I would not be a bit surprised if the boys were not even retractible yet, that would be normal.

I agree with the PP who said that only if there is a strong odor should the boy need to wash. It's a lingering "victorian" additude to monitor the child to make sure his genitals don't smell and are clean. I mean, it's one think if the child reaks, and there is some very noticable smell or something, but extreme cleanliness is one of those notions that is lingering around for quite some time.

The truth is that if you keep on cleaning this area unnecesarily, you could upset the natural balance of good bacterias under the foreskin, leaving the bad bacterias to grow rampant, leading to infection. Meticulous cleaning is often the very reason that young boys end up getting constant infections leading them to end up (unnecessarily) get circumcised.

Your friend should really leave the boys alone and let them do whatever they are comfortable with. Too soon, the will turn their attention to the girls, and will begin to get embarrassed and self concious if they have a particularly strong odor, and will give proper attention to the area according to whatever is necessary. Some young men need and are comfortable with soap, some are fine with a quick swish in plain water. They will know what to do when the time is right.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
I don't know how short you are, or how tall your 10 year old is, but I am very short, and many a 10 year old boy is the same height as I am. Imho, if I am standing face to face as to have a conversation with the child, and I can get offending whiffs wafting up from the nether regions, yes, definitely have the child wash.

But I know, I am not going to put my nose all up into his crotch to see if he has an odor or not. Unless she would notice something awfully noctious smacking her dead in her face while just being around the child normally, I would not advise the OP's friend to really worry about it.

But as I did mention in my post, if there is a definite odor definitely coming from this area that is noticable, yes, some kind of cleaning regime (that is not irritating to the child's glans) is in order.
(edit)
....as long as the child's foreskin is indeed retractable, that is!

·
Registered
345 Posts
This is matter that can be discussed till the cows come home! It's also entirely a matter of preference.

Nature designed the penis perfectly and a lot of good advice has already been posted here. Our wish to clean is a product of our time. It wasn't so very long ago that we all wandered about stinking to high heaven! Yes, of course, with sanitary conditions so poor in those days, disease was rife. But procreation went on unabated and foreskins 'worked'.

My point is to stress the need for a 'laid back' approach to retraction. If it's desired, go ahead; if not, don't. Many enjoy the sensation, others don't. Once a male is sexually active he would probably prefer to wash afterwards because stale semen has an odour of its own that is offensive to some. As I have mentioned before (and as Sonie alluded to), smegma is not only harmless but also beneficial. It cleanses, fights infection... and is replaced regularly.

Shantimama, it's no big deal at all!

Christopher

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathan1097
Its not a big deal. My son is nearly 9 and never retracts to wash either. Give it a few more years till they should think about it. My son already knows that he CAN do this- and I guess when its needed, he will.

:
Unfortunately, I trained my sons to retract the foreskin and wash with soap and water at EVERY bath/shower.
: That's one of the disadvantages of being part of the pre-Internet generation; I didn't learn that that wasn't necessary until after puberty until I started lurking on this forum two years ago!
: The good news is that my sons still have their foreskins, and that my overly meticulous cleaning regimen doesn't seem to have hurt them. But now I tell people not to worry about it.
By the way, 9, 10, and 11 year old boys are notorious for their low cleanliness standards!
If you can get them to take a shower once or twice a week, you are doing GOOD!
That's true regardless of their circ. status.

·
Registered
9,039 Posts
I would start talking about puberty/adult hygene now. At 10 many boys, if not all boys, need to learn about what changes to expect with puberty and smells. But besides the occassional you stink go take a bath there doesn't need to be much more instruction.

·
Registered
235 Posts
We more or less left DS alone in that region. He was 10.5 when his foreskin detached and well into age 12 before he even was able to retract all the time. He knows now and does wash himself now.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
It's no big deal when my son gets to bathe himself I will hope when he hits to puberty that he will wash down there but I won't go checking or questioning him about it.

I would say if you have any concerns or questions about any part of your body part feel free to ask me and also tell me if anything hurts as in painful hurt or if there is any certain green,blood discharge .

·
Registered
232 Posts
hey shantima i just noticed your located on the shore of lake huron. So am I! lol We live in i tiny little place called Augres MI. I guess its just one of those "small world" moments for me but then again lake huron is one of the largest lake on earth so maybe i just burst my own bubble of amazment lol.

About the washing thing. My dad was always admant that we made sure to wash our butts when i was a kid lol up until just before puberty. He never bothered us again after that. I guess at that point he figured we were smart enough to take care of our own hygiene and it was our responsibility at that age. I dont know why people are so scared that if a foreskin isnt monitored 24/7 and washed 10 times aday its going to kill its owner. Im a restored man and ive gone camping for weeks at a time far into the wilderness with no water except the jugs we brought for drinking. This means no showers or anything of the sort. Just like the rest of my body the after the first day or 2 the foreskin has some smell to it. The thing is that it doesnt get any stonger after that. Its like your entire body maintains a natural smell level. Its not like you smell worse and worse until you die from infections. Infact since restoring ive never had any problems of the sort. I guess what im saying is that so many people are deathly afraid of germs that they have an irrational fear of "uncleanliness" (you should see my step mother, but that that would take up it own thread) . This gives them a fear of the foreskin because they know little about it in the firstplace and the misinformation that is spread by hearsay and the medical feild (more hearsay). Just like the vulva doesnt take constant scrubbing and douching to stay healthy, the foreskin doesnt need constand scubbing and harsh soaps. A very light rinse and wipe it all it takes to stay quite healthy unless the child is non retractible then its even easier.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts