Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just got home from vacation. We went to my hometown of Richmond, VA. Anyway, my little boy Ivan had a hard time and cried unconsolably for over 3 hours! We had an idea of what was wrong, but we were scared and took him to the ER to be sure he was ok.

Well, what do you think happened? The ER doctor asked if Ivan was circumcised! What the hell? He is 16 months old. I know from all of you good people that penises should not be examined after it is determined that his testicles are decended. Right? I had just mentioned that to my husband before the doctor came in. That was her first question....the circ question.

She then asked me to take off his diaper for a rectal exam and proceeded to examine his penis. I had a very firm "PLEASE DO NOT RETRACT HIM" for her. She concluded that he may have a certain condition that would require a urine sample, blood sample and x-ray and then possibly a barium enema
When Ivan woke up from his exhaustion nap and seemed fine we told her that we were not comfortable with putting him through all those tests since he seemed better and that we would follow up with his pedi at home.

Whew!

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
Yikes! That seems so off... to focus on his penis status first?
And to suggest all those tests? Jeez, why not do a cat scan and a spinal tap while they were at it? Maybe a mammogram and a pap smear just to cover all the bases?

Hope he's feeling better now!

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
When DS had a random virus, the doc said that since he was 'uncircumcised' he probably had a UTI and that toddlers usually don't register the stinging during urination, which is why he was not showing any discomfort (more of that "babies don't feel pain" crap). Then she insisted on a cath instead of a bag catch to check for a UTI, because since he was 'uncircumcised' he probably had some bacteria in his foreskin.
:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.