Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello: I'm a babywearer and have been since DS was 2 weeks old. I love it - he hardly ever cries and when he does it is usually going back into the sling that soothes him. Thing is - I go back to work when DS is months old (now he is 5 months) and I'm really worried about the transition. He's in close contact 80% of the day and night (we co-sleep). when he naps - he usually has to be on me in the sling for it to last anything longer than a few minutes. I'm just starting to get him to take a bottle from Hubby, and DS is not liking that experience much. My Hubby will be taking care of him full time for at least the next 4 months after I go back to work. I think that is great, but I'm worried about him handling it. He's got numerous stress related problems now.

So I'm looking for the benefit of experience from other babywearing Mom's who've gone through the return to work. ( I am definitely going back to work so suggesting otherwise is not welcome) What are your experiences? How do I make this a pleasant transition for all involved.

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
I haven't BTDT, but I think it would be important for your dh to wear him as much as you have been.

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
I would definitely work with your dh to show him how to wear your baby comfortably; it's going to make his life a LOT easier. Find him a carrier that will work well for him if the ones you use now don't float his boat. A soft structured carrier often appeals most to dads, but different dads like different things.

At 5 months, your ds should be at or almost at the stage where he can sit comfortably straddle-legged; this would enable a back carry with a soft structured carrier. Back carries can be done earlier than this with a wrap or a mei tai, so again try to find something your dh will actually use. Back carries are awesome for having baby close and soothed but enabling the parent to get more done than when baby is on the front.

I would also start having dh practice NOW with the carriers, including trying to bottle feed ds in one with you out of the room/house, to get ds used to the idea that both mommy and daddy carry him/feed him.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
426 Posts
You're story sounds similar to mine! I've back at work for almost 4wks and DS2 is almost 10mos. DS2 has been in a sling/wrap/pouch/MT almost constantly since birth when I was on mat leave . DH does NOT babywear, despite my best efforts, but he does carry the baby around a lot and does not let him CIO. Being our 3rd child and the 3rd time he has taken some parental leave (DD1 is our eldest), DH has developed some of his own skills or tricks to getting the baby to sleep. For DS1, it was bouncing on the exercise ball. For DS2, the glider seems to work, as well as singing. My children all seem to know when daddy is around and what to expect and when mommy is around. I think basically, what I'm trying to say, is that your son will bond with your husband in their own way. It may not be perfect nor how you will do it, but it will work out. DH depises me "telling" him what to do, and I think with the kids, it does help that he do his own thing if the basic philosophy is the same.

OH, and when I get home, I make sure I nurse, take walks, etc, with the baby on my back!

(btw, I'm in Mississauga, where in Ontario are you?)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi everyone: thanks so much for the replies. How was getting baby to take a bottle from the caregiver? My DS will take a bottle from me. He will take a bottle occasionally from DH but so far only when I'm there. DH wants to try another bottle but I don't see the point: DS seems pretty comforable taking the bottles we have from me.

Re babywearing: DH does like the sling. I just have to encourage him to use it more. He thinks I use it too much.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.