Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>I'm in the process of getting divorced and currently work 28 hrs/wk. I'm planning on going back to school to get a 2nd bachelor's degree and wondering how that will be looked on in terms of the child support I receive from STBXH. I know that, at least for XH, voluntarily reducing income is looked down on. Is there anything in place that would prevent me from voluntarily reducing my income to go to school? I don't want to try to get more child support from him, and I'm not sure if the support amount goes up if my income goes down. Or, does FOC count student loans as income if I'm using them to help pay living expenses, in terms of calculating CP amounts?</p>

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
<p>I don't think it matters at all if you are not paying the ex any support.</p>
<p>I would like to ask--why a second bachelor's degree?  Why not a master's degree?</p>
<p>What is your field?</p>

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
<p>I'm not sure. I know that a friend wanted to get a Master's and her ex tried to push for her to be forced to go back to her old job (she'd been out for 7-8 years at that point I think, her license had expired) but she was able to get the Master's and he had to pay maintenance/child support accordingly. He had a relatively good income at a professional job, but I don't know if that had anything to do with it or not.</p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts