Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>Hi, I'm asking this question for my sister who has an 18 month old DD and an 8 week old DD. She is starting to pump in preparation for returning to work after Christmas and she was wondering if it was o.k. to reuse the nipples on bottles from when her DD1 was a newborn. I told her I thought it was fine as long as the holes aren't distorted and she should just boil them and they would be o.k. Is that right? Thanks!</p>

·
Registered
983 Posts
<p>I would sterilize all the bottles and nipples and then I'd totally use them. If she's pumping she should totally get the sterilizer bags by Medela or Dr. Browns so she can sterilize her pumping equipment, as well as the bottles. I bottlefeed and have found these bags to be a godsend. Of course, you can always just put a big pot of water up and do it the old fashioned way, but the bags made it so much easier.</p>

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
<p>I'd reuse everything but nipples. Nipple can develop tiny cracks and tears and I read that they often dry out/deteriorate between children. Everything else can be sterilized and will be good to go. If she is using the same pump she should have the suction checked.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>And of course, I wouldn't assume that baby #2 will take the same bottle type either so tell her not to stock up.</p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts