Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately I've been thinking of using a chart (sticker) based reward system for good behavior and to "earn" things that DD otherwise wouldn't get (an extra toy or treat of some kind). I was interested in what your opinions and experinces were. Is it a good idea? How did you set your system up (if you used one)? Any tips, pointers or alternatives? Did/do you find it useful?

TIA

· Registered
571 Posts
hi there. i'm formally a special ed teacher that taught in a behavior based classroom. this method is very effective. you should start by using the system generously. in other words, make the praise and stickers very frequent for good behavior. this makes the incentive more desirable. start with a lot stickers and taper it down once desired behavior starts to become internalized. it sounds a little methodical and scientific but it can be done with love and a caring atmosphere and will work well. make the sticker chart visually appealing and include personal things the child likes. let them put the stickers on the chart and be part of choosing the reward. (after 5 stickers I can get a cook treat; after 10 I can get a new toy etc.) my ds is not at he age for this quite yet, but the system worked well with my students (kinder, 1st, and 2nd graders) pm me if you have further questions

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.