Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody used this device? I saw it at the grocery store a short while back, and I'm intrigued. But I'm a wee bit wary, because I spent a lot on a FoodSaver a while back and it only worked well for maybe a year. One of the things that I hated about the FoodSaver, even when it worked, was that the bags weren't easily reusable. Well, you could cut the bag longer than needed, then cut off the seal end, wash and reseal. But that had a limited lifespan, unless you were cutting them like twelve feet long. In theory, you could reuse the Reynold's bags; are the little valves where you attach the vacuum sturdy enough to reuse repeatedly? Is the closure on the bag tight enough to ensure long term retention of the vacuum? They claim to be... but I'd like to hear it from people who've used them!<br><br>
What I'd like to use it for is storing dry goods - grains, beans, etc. I'm hoping this would help reduce the risk of moths and weevils, and make it easy to rotate stock without having to resort to either breakable jars or huge plastic buckets.

·
Premium Member
3,804 Posts
Yes and I love it. I think it's ingenious b/c it's a heck of a lot cheaper then the foodsaver. I was so excited when I saw it in the store. I love mine. I think the bags are reusable and I think it does a good job getting the air out and keeping freezer burn off my food. That is what I mainly use mine for.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
I haven't got one, but I keep eyeing them in the grocery. I have an ancient vacuum sealer that I got at goodwill for $1, but it's not been working well lately, so I don't know how much longer it's going to last.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Got one and LOVE it...... the only problem is that if there are a lot of juices (like strawberries or whatever), they end up in a pocket of the bag and you can't really re-use the bag.<br><br>
THEREn IS A $2.00 COUPON IN THIS WEEK'S NEWSPAPER, IT'S A MANUFCTURER'S COUPON, SO IT SHOULD BE ON THE ZIPLOC WEBSITE TOO

1 - 4 of 4 Posts