Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone had any experiences with going to the ER or anywhere else for that shot after birth.

I'm not completely convinced it is necessary as of right now, but was hoping for a real life story about getting it

Did you go to the ER? Is there anywhere else where you can get those?

Did you have to give away a bunch of identifying information? Can you just go in anonamyously (can't spell that...) and get it? I'm super cautious about the whole "system" and would be livid if the hospital sent a social worker to our house for followup because we birthed at home. Nothing to hide, just don't take very well to unnecessary investigations.

How much did it cost
: we're broke. I'm thinking that they're gunna charge for the ER visit as well as the testing and the shot.

Did you get it in your arm? I don't like the idea of getting it in my butt, not because I'm modest, but because I DO NOT like the idea of anyone telling me to drop my pants...

Did you bring in baby's cord blood? I am not bringing my baby in there... he/she will stay with dh. How? I was thinking in a little tupperware or something?

Did you test for Rh+ at home? I will, I've done it before in lab, and I know it's an easy test.

Hmmm, that's all I can think of. Anything else?

Thank you!

Cara

·
Registered
18 Posts
Would you consider getting the shot from a midwife instead. Even if you plan to go UC you could either give one a call postpartum or even set it up before the birth.
I imagine there would be way less paperwork and just "system" involved.
I think it's not possible in every state, but that may be an option for you, she could come to your home and you would avoid the ER and their staff and policies.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Not a UCer, but I saw the post from the main page. I have a shot of Rhogam sitting in my fridge. I got it from the backup family doc for my HB. It was around $150 (yikes) and it looks to be a syringe and the drug all in one. I do beleive it has to be adminstered intramuscular, which probably means the butt.

But if you know an RN or someone who knows how to give shots (how hard can it be? we're not talking a blood draw or an IV here) maybe you can procure the med itself from a MW (or a HB friendly Doc) and have them administer it if needed.

As far as blood typing, I have been told that you can do a test on the spot, but if its negative, they would prefer a retest, just to be sure. For that, if necessary, we will go to a ped, not the ER.

HTH,
Jenn

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey, thanks guys..

I had no idea that I could get the Rhogram shot and give it to myself. I know I can give it, or DH could, I've given shots before (was a nurse's aid). Geeze, "they" treat all this medical stuff like it is really difficult, but it is not!
I'd much rather get it from a midwife, or from a clinic, and then give it to myself if needed. I'll check into that.

It seems like perscriptions are a chip that doctors have been using against me, ie, you have to do x before I will prescribe y (no more birth control for me unless unless I get a pelvic...) but maybe I could find one that would prescribe for me. Personally, I don't think you should have to get a perscription for anything, but that is just me.

A retest is a good idea. I'd most likely do it like 5 times either way before I went for the shot, or decided not to do it. The test is simple, especially since I could use my blood and DHs blood as "normals" to compare to the baby's.

Thanks for the help!

Cara

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Has anyone here used the Eldon cards before? I got one from a birth supply place online. The directions are simple and look easy to follow. I was just wondering how you collected the blood from the baby. A lancet is included, but obviously, I'd rather not stick my baby and just use any leftover cord blood. I imagine I will wait some time before cutting the cord, so I'm not sure how much will be left there, or if there is anything special I need to do to be certain I get only baby's blood, and not mine. I guess I will wing it, but I'd love tips if anyone has them.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey! Something I can answer!
When we tested for Rh in class (was going to be an RN) we just needed a little bit, maybe less than one cc? Anyway, I would think that you could eaisly get that from the cord, even milking it a little bit if needed. I've read that you can also get it from the baby's side of the placenta if needed also. I wouldn't want to stick my baby either!

________
Edited bc I can't spell!

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
the places that sell birth supplies have Eldon cards that test blood type
you would just take a bit of cord blood and put it on the applicator and add to the card /per instructions-- the blood type the baby is will change the card's reagent

if you need a shot because of the baby's blood type then you have to deal with a hospital unless you could go to a family practice doctor before hand and he/she would agree to providing a rhogam shot and yes it is expensive

·
Registered
7,527 Posts
I've used Eldon cards before, but I would caution people to buy three just to be sure and compare the results. I've often got two that were different results, even after following directions to the T. (I don't trust them much, but there is a 1 in 4 chance that a mother will have a negative baby - that alone would be worth it to check before heading off to any hospital!)

Rhogam can be got through many midwives or doctors. I would even call a nurse-midwife group before I'd go to the hospital and explain the situation. You'll need baby's blood type (which we usually draw with a syringe out of the cord) before they'll administer or prescribe anything.

If you can get Rhogam without a prescription, that's great. But, chances are, you won't be able to. Talk to some friendly midwives in your area first.....BEFORE the birth.

Another thing to consider is the fact that if you're having an unassisted birth, there won't be anyone pulling (or shouldn't be) or messing with hurrying the placenta along. This means that there is a SMALL risk of any blood crossing. The risk of sensitization with a "normal" (read: managed) birth is 10-15%. I would imagine that the risk with an uninterfered with birth would be more than half that. So, if the risks feel ok to you (and they have to many people I know who refuse to use a blood product), then you could forgo it.

Or, if this is your last baby, and you were sure about that, you could forgo it.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Just wanted to add in her about the cost of the shot. I just got my Blue Cross statement from getting the blood work done and the shot, which I had my mw give me. The hospital charged my insurance co $703
I was shocked. I don't know what they charge if you are paying cash, but I just could not beleive thay charged this much.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OH MY GOODNESS!

That is a lot of money. I know I can do the test at home, I know that I'm pos for sure, and it kinda ticks me off that I can't just go in there and ask for the shot!
Hopefully the hospital will be willing to work with me on this one, or even better, the baby will be neg! I don't know if hostpitals do price quotes, but I'm sure gunna see

Cara

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.