Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here's the situation: i'm A-, dh is A+. i was 6w2d pg with baby #2 when i started bleeding. i went to the ER that night. they didn't care that i was rh-, they just wanted to check for ectopic pregnancy. i finally get into see my midwives (not really, they shunted me off to the OB practice down the hall) on tuesday. they do a blood draw tuesday AM to confirm that my HCG levels are too low by far for someone who is 6w6d. so we know i miscarried this weekend. they told me to come back this morning for the rhogam shot. they did not tell me they would need more blood. giving blood is traumatic for me and i was plenty mad that they didn't test for sensitivity yesterday like i asked them to. so i said f%ck it and left without getting the shot. i figure it's been 5 days, and if my body was going to get sensitized to the rh factor, then it already has and there's no point.<br>
am i wrong to think the shot is useless at this point?

·
Registered
7,527 Posts
the general rule is miscarriages or abortions after 8weeks LMP should receive Rhogam. I think you're totally fine - and it sucks about all you went through.<br><br>
{{hugs}}, Mama. You've been in my thoughts.

·
Registered
6,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you for replying! that makes me feel better that standard protocol says i'm okay prior to 8 weeks.<br>
although future kids are not even an issue right now. i told my dh we are having any other kids by mail order.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I am also RH- and was given rhogam with my mc at 6wks I was told if I didn't have it it could cause problems in future pregnancies, My grandmother actually lost several babies do to RH factor and not getting enough rhogam! So please be careful!

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
Without a functioning placenta, there's no way baby's blood could have contaminated yours so early, though it's usually standard practice if you have a D&C.<br>
And the Rhogam shot is only protective if given within 72 hours of possible contamination with rh+ blood from your baby.

·
Registered
6,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
actually stafl, the 72-hour thing is not set in stone. somewhere along the way someone decided that was the protocol and it just got accepted as gospel truth, when in reality you can get the rhogam shot several weeks afterward and it will still be effective. at least that is what i read in several places in my continuing research on this issue.<br><br>
anyway, i did not get the shot. didn't want it, didn't need it, and i'm fine with my decision. it's been 7 weeks and all is fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts