Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking through farm fresh RI's website trying to find organic chicken and beef. Some farms are listed as "chemical-free" while others are "organic" Does anyone know the difference btwn the two categories.

ALSO, where do you buy your chicken & beef (besides whole foods)? I'm looking for organically fed, free roaming, and humanely treated chicken and cows. Are there any local farms (RI, CT, MA) that do not practice artificial insemination for cows?

TIA!

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I've been told, MiNa, that the best way to get the low down on how farms raise their livestock is to call and ask for a tour or at least call and ask. I think chemical free might mean that they are organic but since labeling requires certification they can't actually say organic. But I know that you might be able to say "chemical free" and still use nitrogen fertilizer because it's "natural" and yet it's bad for the environment and over time denatures the pasture.

There is a meat seller at the farmers market in Pawtucket on Saturdays, so that might be a good place to start and get info without venturing far from home?
I wish I knew more so if you do find out more please post (or if others already know ofcourse
). We would love to buy local meat but it's expensive and takes effort so we haven't so far.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by seoul_mama View Post
Are there any local farms (RI, CT, MA) that do not practice artificial insemination for cows?
TIA!
Just butting in here, cause I'm curious.... are there farms that don't practice AI???? I just figured that even most non-traditional farms would probably still use AI for practical/financial reasons.
But I'm pretty ignorant about all this- so maybe its more common/easier than I think?

FWIW, in college I took quite a few animal science classes, the lectures/videos/demonstration on AI were horribly memorable... meaning I really only remember the negative stuff (and it was just yuck to learn about). It is my understanding though, that for some species AI is practical because the mating rituals of the animals are violent enough that AI avoids injury and the animal seems to tolerate AI better. Not sure how to deal with that whole issue ethically either(?) I'm not sure cows fall under that guideline... I know that was specifically mentioned on the unit on horses.

I also wonder about how 'humane' farms deal with weaning... just haven't ventured into this area enough to research/ask.... partly because I don't even know where/how to start or which issues to prioritize.

Hope my question makes some sense.

Jessica

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
I've been on the same crusade. More so in the dairy area. It seems there are LOADS of farms right in my neighborhood but almost all of them cater only to wholesalers
According to Farm Fresh there is one dairy farm which offers "pick up". I'm going to check it out. So far I've been buying Rhody Fresh from the store. Apparently, 5 local farms joined together to form that brand. I was reading their profiles on Farm Fresh. Not certified but say they are hormone and chemical free etc. What I am really looking for is raw milk which seems tough to find since people are fearful to list themselves these days as providers of it. Sorry I don't have any info on what you're looking for... I just wanted to join in to kvetch

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
My in laws raise natural beef cows (in TN) and they would only practice AI if they wanted to breed their cows with a bull not on site. They generally do not I don't think. They have about 3 bulls I think and maybe 100 cows.
They wean the calves by separating them from their moms at 2-3 weeks (again I think this is right) which really surprised me because it seems you would want them the get good nutrition for as long as possible. But maybe it has to do with getting a calf a year out of the cows.
It's really sad because you hear them bawling for their moms and the moms calling back
We've been visiting several times when it's weaning time.

I honestly think truly humane meat is just really hard to come by. There was great passage about it in "The unbearable Lightness of Being" where the author talks about how under communism in the Czech raising animals went from having animals in the family that were raised for food but also named and even loved, though people were still practical about it to the focus being productivity and industry and the animals became machines.
Obviously the same thing happened here and many of us just don't want to think about it.

Milkymommi, I get raw milk for $5 a half gallon from Foxboro MA. It's grass fed and the people very apparently love their cows, they have names etc..I share a pick up with someone once a week in the providence area.
There is also a place in N. Dartmouth (I think) which sells it for $3 if that's closer for you. The foxboro one is by order only and you can find it on "Realmilk.org". It is illegal to sell raw milk in RI except for animal consumption.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by jessjgh1 View Post
Just butting in here, cause I'm curious.... are there farms that don't practice AI???? I just figured that even most non-traditional farms would probably still use AI for practical/financial reasons.
But I'm pretty ignorant about all this- so maybe its more common/easier than I think?

Hope my question makes some sense.

Jessica
Your questions make a lot of sense. Btw, thanks for your feedback about the classes you took. The more I'm learning about meat farming, the more I'm beginning to feel that my meat consumption is only perpetuating the problem. To assuage my guilt about eating meat, I decided to buy only organic meats. But buying organic meats still do not solve other problems, like artifical insemination, early weaning, multiple gestations (not to mention the slaughtering too). Sonja, imagining those little babies yelping for their mothers and vis-versa just tore my heart open. ughh!

I was a vegetarian for over 10 years (3 of those yrs as a vegan); but then I started eating meat again a few years ago and when I was pregnant, all I wanted was beef. I think I'm close to making a decision about going back to vegetarianism. I was just hoping that someone here knew of some utopian farm that treats their animals with dignity, love, and respect. I think I'm just being naive.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Watson's farm in Jamestown is the closest I have found to "natural" meat. Their cows and lambs are grass fed, (and you can get a tour & talk to the farmers), but I do believe they have artificial insemination. They sell at the Casey Farm market (& I think one in Providence) in the summer, but you could also give them a call if you are looking for some now.

Casey Farm in North Kingstown also sells some poultry & pork. I have also participated in "chicken days" where one family will raise chickens, then others will come over for the slaughter & divide up the cost. It is a tough day, but if you are going to eat meat, I think it is good to know where it comes from(and be able to participate in the process).

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by plantmama View Post
Milkymommi, I get raw milk for $5 a half gallon from Foxboro MA. It's grass fed and the people very apparently love their cows, they have names etc..I share a pick up with someone once a week in the providence area.
There is also a place in N. Dartmouth (I think) which sells it for $3 if that's closer for you. The foxboro one is by order only and you can find it on "Realmilk.org". It is illegal to sell raw milk in RI except for animal consumption.
Blah... I didn't realize it was totally illegal. Just figured it was not a recommended practice or something which made people nervous with regard to lawsuits etc. I'm aware it's illegal in many places... guess I haven't really done my homework on my new state yet. I was born here and went to Westerly high school but I've never lived here as an adult. I apparently have some catching up to do. I'm going to check and see which place is closer... if the foxboro one is closer, would you be intersted in another member of the pickup?

Quote:

Originally Posted by seoul_mama View Post
I was a vegetarian for over 10 years (3 of those yrs as a vegan); but then I started eating meat again a few years ago and when I was pregnant, all I wanted was beef. I think I'm close to making a decision about going back to vegetarianism. I was just hoping that someone here knew of some utopian farm that treats their animals with dignity, love, and respect. I think I'm just being naive.
I soooo here you on this. I was a veggie head too for years and the same thing happened to me with baby #4 who is now 2. Only it was poultry for me. I always ate fish and dairy before but no other meats.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maia's mama View Post
It is a tough day, but if you are going to eat meat, I think it is good to know where it comes from(and be able to participate in the process).
Very wise and full of eye opening truth
: The reason I was veggie before... that was a huge pill. You are very very right. Oh boy, I have some thinking to do.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
We felt very positive about the two places we saw with meat at the farmer's market yesterday. One had organic grass fed beef and one had grass fed. Some more investigating might see how they raise and kill.

The ideal is to raise your own I guess. Something we can't do because we live in a city. We raised chickens growing up and we definitely felt fine about the end. You sort of feel closer to nature I guess
. Like we're at the top of the food chain.

If you feel like you need to eat meat to feel healthy chances are you probably do. However, if it freaks you out then that's not healthy either. I keep thinking I'll try to go vegetarian or at least mostly when I get to menopause. I won't need the iron as much and I won't be nourishing babies and kids.

As for raw milk, Milkymommy, we take turns picking it up so just pm me if you want to get in on the order. They also have eggs and cheese. I love their milk.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by plantmama View Post
There was great passage about it in "The unbearable Lightness of Being" where the author talks about how under communism in the Czech raising animals went from having animals in the family that were raised for food but also named and even loved, though people were still practical about it to the focus being productivity and industry and the animals became machines.
Obviously the same thing happened here and many of us just don't want to think about it.
How true! Kundera is such a brilliant writer. If you haven't seen it already, the NPR program, This American Life, ran it's first screen version - the DVD is now available. There's a story about pig farming that captures the essence of Kundera's passage. Something tells me that you would really appreciate the film. There are other wonderful, distrubing, and funny stories in the film too.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Hi, Seoul Mama! At my local ice cream store, I can buy grass fed beef. I know that sounds weird but it's true! I'm happy to pick some up for you if you would like. I am pretty sure it is chemical free but not certified organic but I am not 100% positive. The name of the farm is Golden Tassel Farm in Tiverton if you would like to check with them. I could not find a phone number for them online but if you call the store that sells the meat, they may have the info for you or be able to put you in touch with the farm. The number for the store is 401-624-4500. The name is Gray's Ice Cream.

I can let you know that I have eaten the meat and it is wicked good! I like it much better than supermarket beef.

I thought I had a source for some grass fed pork but the lady I was corresponding with ended up stopping replying to my emails for some reason. So, I gotta try to find someone new. I'm also trying to find a local (to me) source of chicken. I know in South County they have Pat's Pastured Poultry. I've had one of their chickens and it was wonderful
If I find any new sources, I will let you know. With all the hustle and bustle of the holidays, my grass fed meat search has kind of fallen by the wayside...

The raw milk dairy in North Dartmouth charges $3.50 for 1/2 gallon or $7.00 for a gallon. I am happy to pick up milk for anyone that wants some. They also have wonderful eggs for $3.75. The cows are not 100% grass fed as they need to supplement in the winter but the milk has still been wonderful. The cows are drug free and look quite content when I see them.

Ok - I think that is it... PM me if you want me to get something for you so that I get noticed via email as I am not sure when I will get a chance to check the forum again...

Happy Holidays!

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
we buy our meat mostly from a farm in foster. 1/4, 1/2, and whole cows, chickens, turkey and lamb. It's a very small farm. Sometimes they have a waiting list, and sometimes we pass on our order when called(our family eats less meat now that I don't eat it).
It is more expensive too, but the freshness and quality can't be beat. I can see if they're taking new names if you like, just pm me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.