Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else experience extreme tenderness on one side of their ribs? I forgot to ask my doctor about it at my last visit but I've been having pain on the right side of my ribs, which extends all through that side and around to my back for a while now and I'm so uncomfortable.

Anyone else? Any thoughts on easing the pain? Thanks!

·
Registered
585 Posts
Ditto here. I can actually feel her bumping into my ribs from time to time. The doc said it's normal.

About the only relief I can get is to take a bath or arch my back, streching my ribs out. Of course arching my back for any length of time just makes my back hurt too.

It's making me a bit grumpy frankly.

-luv

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I'm glad I'm not the only one! I guess I'll just have to wait it out and hope for some relief. I'm thinking of trying a prenatal massage to see if that helps at all.

·
Registered
380 Posts
My chiro (who specializes in prenatal) said that rib pain on the right side is the 2nd most common complaint she deals with (the first being the sacrum/pelvis). She said that the liver (which is on the right side) is a huge organ and doesn't smoosh very well. It just pushes the ribs out of the way.

When the rib goes out it can hurt in the front, side or back as they wrap all around.

I have some scholiosis, which aggravates my ribs even more. Going to the chiro is the best thing for me- she makes a really gentle adjustment on my ribs- not a crack at all- and it helps for a week or two. Actually, since getting into my 3rd trimester, the pain has gone away except sometimes when I sleep on my right side. I think the relaxin helped.

Good luck!

btw- my insurance paid for the chiro.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ladyleigh View Post
Going to the chiro is the best thing for me- she makes a really gentle adjustment on my ribs- not a crack at all- and it helps for a week or two. Actually, since getting into my 3rd trimester, the pain has gone away except sometimes when I sleep on my right side.
oh my lord, i'm making an appointment with a chiro today. i've had this rib pain since about 8 weeks and it makes me miserable. it does seem to correspond more to when my breasts magically get larger in the middle of the night. if i could get relief for 2 weeks i think i would cry from joy. this is pretty much why i don't sleep much at night.

thank you so much izzy's mom for asking this question! Who knew that this was a common pregnancy complaint, I haven't found it anywhere in my research (and that's pretty much all i do in my spare time

yay!

·
Registered
677 Posts
I have it, on my right side mostly. It's worse when I sit for prolonged periods of time. And yes, arching my back and stretching out makes it feel better.

I talked to a friend who's an almost MD (he's an intern right now), and he said the reason it feels similar to a side stitch is because that's what it is - a severe, prolonged side stitch.

The explanation he gave is this: Your diaphragm is a flat object, stretching across your abdomen just below your ribs. When you run hard, pushing your lungs up and down rapidly into the diaphragm, it gets cramped up, giving you a side stitch. In pregnancy, all of your organs are squished around in there, pressing hard against your diaphragm, stretching it out. Causing it to cramp up.

This is all very logical to me, because if I stand or walk, esp. with my arms above my head, creating more space in my abdominal cavity, the pain will go away.

I've read many women only experience this pain for a few weeks - my assumption is that your diaphragm gets used to the stretching and stops cramping up after a time. I'm looking forward to this!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So many responses - thanks everyone!

ATD Mom - I sure hope it might go away within a few weeks - it's already been a good 3 or 4 for me. And so far it's getting worse (it doesn't hurt more, but it doesn't go away anymore either).

I may just have to find a chiro and try that!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ladyleigh View Post
My chiro (who specializes in prenatal) said that rib pain on the right side is the 2nd most common complaint she deals with (the first being the sacrum/pelvis). She said that the liver (which is on the right side) is a huge organ and doesn't smoosh very well. It just pushes the ribs out of the way.
This is the same thing my perinatologist told me during my last pregnancy. I had the most awful rib pain EVER. There were times it was so bad, I was in tears. I am dreading having that come back during my current pregnancy. Man, it was painful.

I will say, though, that once my son dropped, the pain went away. So there's that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.