Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to be allergic to rice flour and brown rice but not be bothered by white rice? My ds is 13 months old and is EBF. He has some known food allergies like dairy soy and nuts. I have done the ED in the past and have eaten lots of white rice since he has been born and it does not seem to bother him (i think). But when I have tried brown rice he and I both break out in a mild rash. Yesterday he broke out in hives and the only think I can think of is that he was exposed to rice flour. After reading my food diary I saw that I ate Van's organic vegan blueberry waffles for breakfest yesterday and the day before that contained rice flour.<br>
He tasted a veggie puff a couple of months ago that led to persistant vomiting until he was given benadryl. I called the company that made it to verfiy what natural flavors on the label was from and they assured me that it was corn derived and there was no dairy or soy. After talking this over with our ped she said it was probably the rice flour in the veggie puffs that caused the problem.<br>
He does have eczema. Now I am wondering if the white rice I am consuming is contributing to the eczema.<br>
Any thoughts and/or advice would greatly be appreciated!!

·
Registered
11,992 Posts
The brown rice will have more protein than the white. Since it's the protein you react to in an allergy I'd say that even though you aren't seeing a visible reaction to the white rice you should avoid it. People with wheat allergies tend to react more to whole wheat than to refined white flour.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts