Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...so I saw someone suggest having a rice cooker in another thread and it sparked my curiosity! Perhaps because I have just boiled over the pot with rice in it on the stove (we're having veggie sushi, YUM!). Any suggestions for best rice cooker? I would want to be able to cook brown rice in it. Other than that...I really have no preference!

TIA!

·
Registered
269 Posts
We have a Zojirushi Rice Cooker NS-ZCC 18 and it has been wonderful. It can cook all types of rice including brown very well. After all of our research it was what we could afford, was high quality and had gotten great reviews.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
The one we have is a cheapie. The instructions say you can cook brown rice in it by soaking first. I put it in the warm mode for 20 mins, then hit the cook button. It cooks fine, but it always sticks pretty badly, and dh can't seem to get it that if he just adds some water and stirs, it will come up and be just fine, so we end up throwing out a good half a serving or more every time we use it. I think a saucepan would be just as good and less wasteful.

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
I couldn't live without my Zojirushi. I've got the NS-JCC10. It's awesome!
And it cleans up incredibly easily.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
My DH is Japanese and we make rice for almost every meal. I don't know how I'd get by without my rice cooker. We use 1/2 white and 1/2 brown as a compromise.

We bought ours at Uwajimaya (an asian grocery) it's by National and the style is SR-SH10RN. Anyway, I just put what ever type of rice I want and the correct amount of water and voila. No thinking or timing and it always comes out perfect. I have even put boxed red beans and rice in it and it comes out great.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts