Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a smoothie every morning for breakfast, consisting of:

1/2 c soymilk
3/4 c frozen blueberries
1 banana
1 T flax meal

The flax meal provides 3 g of protein, but I'm getting pretty unhappy with the grittiness factor. I tried blending it with a little warm water first, but the blades on my blender don't go low enough to touch it.

Would rice or hemp protein powder dissolve? I've tried peanut butter, but the flavor overwhelms everything else.

Thanks,

Holly

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
I put hemp protein powder in our smoothies, and it has about the same consistency as ground flax, so if you don't like one, you probably won't like the other. I don't mind the hemp protein powder, because most of our smoothies have very seedy berries, so I don't notice the thickness of the hpp compared to blackberry seeds.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
You arent supposed to use flax meal in smoothies. Yuck. LOL

You use flax oil. (I would drizzle about 1T or so into the blender as its blending fast-drizzle slowly so it emulsifies.)

I would use soy protein-rice and hemp arent as complete of proteins as soy.

Jenny

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Kass - Here is some info on hemp seeds I found. I knew they were a good source of omega 3's but didn't know much else. There's a recipe on that page for hemp milk. The only hemp milk I've ever had was a sample at Whole Foods before I saw on the label that it had a ton of added sugar! The flavor I tried was chocolate, and it tasted a lot like Silk's chocolate soy milk. I like hemp protein powder (then again, I don't mind its thickness - like I said, if you don't like ground flax, you probably won't like this) because it's slightly sweet and nutty and because (unlike soy or rice) it isn't something I have in the rest of my diet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.