Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
155 Posts
Homebirth is a great idea. Homebirth is the only real way you can experince birth the way it was meant to be.

blessedbirthservices.com is great midwifery service, and they only do homebirths

or you could look into unassisted birth. There is a forum on here for it, and on www.unassistedchildbirth.com you should check it out. Because labor and birth is a private, intimate, sexual event between a husband-wife.

· Registered
185 Posts
Hi funshine,
The woman you spoke of is currently the only CNM doing homebirths in Richmond. CPM legislation was just recently passed and I believe there are probably at least a couple of those around here..? Check out the Commonwealth Midwives Alliance, and also Motherwise Birth Resources for more info. There is also the Richmond Birth Circle, which is actuallyhaving their monthly meeting tonight!! They are a homebirth "discussion" group...folks come who have had homebirths, are planning a homebirth or are interested in learning about homebirth.
Hope this helps some..
Jennifer

ps--I believe the CNM does well-woman, she works in the OB's office...but someone else will have to speak to that....my homebirth was not in Richmond, so my experience would not help out here.

· Registered
893 Posts
I know that the mw (CPM) who attended my most recent birth was telling me about a homebirth CNM in Richmond, so it's likely the same mw.
I agree with CocoNut about contacting Commonwealth Midwives Alliance -- that's how I found my absolutely wonderful mw in Northern VA.

· Registered
380 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by funshine
Has anybody here had a homebirth?

DH and I are considering a homebirth if/when we have baby #3. Two of my friends had homebirths with the same midwife and a third friend is having a VBAC (hospital birth) with the same midwife. I'm wondering if she's the only HB midwife in town. She sounds wonderful but I feel like I should check out any others around town as well.
It seems like some homebirth info is relatively private, so I'll just refer to her by first initial - her name is N, and she's partnered with a male OB, Dr. F.

Experiences, recommendations, advice...all welcome!

For those who had a HB, did you interview midwives before you were pregnant? Do HB midwives do well-woman care in addition to prenatal/birth/PP care? I'm due for an annual exam this fall and instead of going to my old OB I'm wondering if I should strike up a relationship with a HB MW *now*.

Thanks!
I was going to have a homebirth with her, but my bp started rising and then I got put on meds to control it. So, no hb for me, but she was who I saw for all but 3 of my prenatal visits. Also, her back up ob is great. I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think that she does well woman visits. She may for her homebirth clients, but I don't think so, I always go into the office and see Dr. F's nurse practicioner. She doesn't work in Dr. F's office and the 'rules' have changed a little bit since I used her w/ my ds, but she is awesome and hb or not, I wouldn't consider having a baby w/o her. I'm sure that I would have had a c/s with ds if I hadn't used her and Dr. F wasn't so laid-back and willing to let nature take it's course. If you want, feel free to pm me with any other questions you may have. I LOVE her and am so thankful for my birthing experiences with her.

· Registered
8 Posts
I had a homebirth, not here in VA, but up north, and I have heard numerous wonderful things about N here.

The birth was wonderful-we both were totally connected (my son and I actually linked arms and caught each other as he came out), and I was really able to be a part of the birth...as wierd as that sounds. I really wanted a hombirth so I could have a full experience and just foucs on being there rather than having to deal with being in an less familiar place and asked to make decisions that may not always be necessary. However, I also trusted my GREAT midwives who also had a great reporte with the local hospital and were completely prepared and knowledgeable if we ever needed to go in. So, I hope if you have a chance to have homebirth that you enjoy it and that if you are looking for care at home between midwife visits, you might be able to find a really great doula too!

Congratulations!

· Registered
180 Posts
Hey Jess,
I was going to pm ya but your box is full so I'll post it here...

It's Melissa, Audrey and Meredith's mom
. Are you planning on going to an AP playgroup soon? If we meet up, I can try to answer some of your questions.

Basically, Nancy's the only CNM around (other folks have given some good resources for finding a CPM). My husband and I interviewed her after I got pregnant and I don't believe I would have chosen anyone else. I don't believe she sees a woman outside of pregnancy. The nurse practitioner at the backup physician's office is great for the routine stuff. I could go on, so I'll stop there.

Let me know if you have any other questions or if you plan on being at a playgroup soon.

· Registered
4,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Freebirth2, I absolutely agree with you that homebirth is probably the only way to experience birth as it was meant to be. I started out as merely pro-natural childbirth, but with each birth I learn something about the birth experience that ends up informing what I choose the next time. Reese's birth was as good an experience as I think a hospital birth can be...but it was still a hospital birth. So next time, I want to be at home. I don't think I'm ready for an unassisted birth, but who knows.

Jennifer, thanks for the info! I've been meaning to get involved in the birth circle and/or motherwise for a while but never get my act together. What a bummer that I missed the meeting! I need to remember to check my posts more often.

On the up side, I met two more women last night who have had homebirths with N attending. So I guess we had our own little birth circle.

Good to know that at the very least, I could form a relationship with Dr. F's practice instead of going back to my old OB (whom I liked but I think N/Dr. F would be a better route for me at this time).

Catpaw, being an active part of your birth does not sound strange to me at all! It has been my goal from the start. I "caught" Reese when he was born. I remember somebody saying "she delivered her own baby" and thinking a) that I hate the word "deliver" and b) that it was strange for somebody to even remark on it, shouldn't it be the way it always happens?

And finally...Hi, Melissa! Thanks for the heads-up on my box, I didn't realize it was full, how did that happen? Urgh. If memory serves, you guys have been going to the newer baby playgroup, right? Reese has changed naptimes again but I think we can make that time. Hopefully I can catch up with you then.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.