Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An email from two CNMs just fired from their practice:

All: I wanted to let you know that Virginia Physicians for Women has decided to terminate the midwifery program as of yesterday. No warning. no plan for women to transition. No midwives at St. Francis, No midwives on the south side of Richmond. Women should be outraged.

Please spread the word Call Bon Secours, say you want midwives at St. Francis. Call Virginia Physicians for Women and complain: 897-2100, ext 191 (Dick Slater). If you know someone in the media see if they will do a story. Women must demand more. I am so sad.

Leslie Fehan, CNM
Jessica Jordan, CNM

A peaceful protest is works, I think. As soon as I hear, I'll post details.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's going to be a peaceful protest Thursday from 9 to noon. I'll post more details as I get them.

The birthcenter will open as planned. Doctors were going to do most of the deliveries there, but they had included the midwives in on planning and were really responsive to their suggestions, so they were able to shape some policy, etc. Bon Secours had nothing to do with the midwife program being terminated, only VPW.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Thanks for the info. I didn't know that the birthing center would be mostly staffed by obs, I guess I just assumed that midwives would be doing most of the deliveries. It's good that they had a chance to help shape some policy though.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well the center is IN St. Francis Hospital and it's still Richmond... you know how backwards everyone is here about everything remotely crunchy

But they fought for things like early discharge, more tubs and therapeutic showers, etc.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1 - 7 of 7 Posts