Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>I'd love some advice dear mamas...</p>
<p> </p>
<p>My right boob has never been ds's favorite, but with my recent supply issues, ds is having a hard time getting milk from there and doesn't have the patience to suckle that boob unless he's sleeping.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>My question is, what is the best way to deal with it? I would have thought that my left boob would compensate but I'm having a supply issue and I don't see how one boob and a supply issue is enough.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I've been pumping the right boob and feeding him what I pump but if I do this, wouldn't it effect the supply on the left boob by creating less of a demand there. So if my right one does end up drying up completely, my left one would have to take more time to step up?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Should I let the right one naturally decrease in supply so that the left can increase? If so, I can always freeze the milk from the right.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I'm so confused!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks so much xxx</p>

·
Registered
63 Posts
<p>You may have found a solution already but I felt bad for you since I had the same problem and because I did not deal with it quickly enough, I am now almost 3 sizes bigger on the left. It looks rather funny and not attractive. So try to balance the amount of milk that comes out of each breast, either by pumping or feeding. If the amount that comes out is the same, I think the size of the breasts will also remain the same. I am going to have to live with one small and one big boob for some time, hopefully not forever. All the best to you.</p>

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
<p>What I think is to offer the less favorite breast first every time until both breasts seem about the same. And while you are having supply problems, do not feed baby any bottles if you can, that will just throw a wrench in the works. Just save what you pump.</p>

·
Registered
86 Posts
<p>Such wise ladies on here! I agree with not using a bottle for baby while having supply issues. Attempting to nurse on the least favorite side as he will and then nursing like a crazy baby on the right will mean your right will get more action and continue to increase in supply and that you'll want to continue pumping his least favorite side a few times per day. Just freezing that milk for the future means you don't have to replace any of his feedings and you can work on increasing the supply on that side while he works on raising the other! You've probably already found a way to work this out since it's been a few weeks!</p>

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
<p>Moved out to the main Breastfeeding forum per forum guidelines....</p>
<p> </p>
<p>and I just wanted to add that you can successfully breastfeed on just one breast! I have with all three of my children. They have all preferred the right over the left, and despite my efforts to always offer the left, etc. the milk supply has never been close to that on the right. Usually by about 6 months I'm exclusively breastfeeding on the right. I pad the left when I'm dressing up and want to look even, honestly. Otherwise, I've just gotten use to it.</p>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts