Mothering Forum banner

could easily find or get your school age childs vaccine record

• Yes - I know exactly where it is.

Votes: 11 57.9%
  • probably - it might take some hunting or a phone call or two

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Maybe? Ack! Do they keep records of such things somewhere?

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Probably not. I get a headache thinking about it. Who was their doctor back then?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No. Not going to happen.

Votes: 1 5.3%
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
8,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you find your child's vaccine record?

This is a bit of a spin-off from a thread in pro-vax. The Op there is mentioning that it might be difficult for some parents to find immunisation records. This could lead to re-immunisations, paperwork issues, and I suspect, a bit of a backlash against mandatory vaccine for schools laws.

So, feel free to just do the poll if you do not want people wagging their fingers at you for being disorganised...

Poll time!

Reactions: 95191 and Deborah

·
Premium Member
2,201 Posts
I am the most unorganized person ever. My house usually looks like a war zone. But all of my important papers: divorce papers, custody papers, birth certificates, social security cards and vaccination records are in the same spot. I guess I learned young that I can be an organized everywhere else but some documents are just too difficult to replace.

·
Registered
18,827 Posts
Nope. But my daughter is 48...

And I mostly faked her vaccine record. You could do that back in the 70s.

Reactions: Nemi27 and EMRguy

·
Registered
8,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I voted maybe. I could probably up it to a "probably" as it is most likely somewhere in the house.

As an aside - I have my vaccine "book" , and the one time I needed it, the government would not accept it as the doctor had signed the whole book instead of each page.

·
Registered
8,849 Posts
I can certainly see an issue arriving for those who move, within a state and state to state. Record keeping is not uniform. Some easily could be forged given most offices give just a print out. Some don't even given much info and hand write what was given because they also use codes. Switching insurance can add to this - many keep no records.............oh wait - we can now just do a universal system and keep track of everyone! Won't that be special? Your public records for many eyes to see.

State (some) have electronic systems already set up - let's just go national! :eek:

·
Registered
605 Posts
I voted "probably," because I'd have to look a bit or call the doctor, but I'm 95% sure that my husband knows exactly where they are.

·
Registered
9,078 Posts
I voted I know exactly where it is, and here's proof. This is for my 25 yo DD who hasn't received a vaccine in 20 years! Now as for the other two.... no choice for them. >:D

·
Registered
8,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So if a parent could not find the paperwork, and they lived in a state that did not allow for philosophical exemptions, would the state accept titering as opposed to paperwork? Does anyone know and is this a realistic option?

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Nope. And as were S&Ders, any vaccines were doing are private and off the registry.

All I'd be able to show is a prescription for one of the vaccines done in our old state and a copy of their medical records in our current state for any subsequent ones (after I request the records). Oh and as we might be taking DS abroad for one series, that will also be just a receipt/prescription copy. His high school would have to be happy with that.

·
Registered
9,078 Posts
So if a parent could not find the paperwork, and they lived in a state that did not allow for philosophical exemptions, would the state accept titering as opposed to paperwork? Does anyone know and is this a realistic option?
I don't know about other states but CO accepts titers.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Yes, I do know where they are for all three. But they are all around the age where we've needed them fairly regularly, ask me again in 5 years and I don't know if they would be as closely at hand lol

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
I can't see the poll (Tapatalk issue??) but I know where the girl's records are.

Australia has a national register of vaccinations too so I could get a copy from them if I lost DD1's (DD2 is not vaxxed at all yet). Or I could get it from their doctor's rooms.

It probably depends on the institution but I was able to use titres for a job I did once . They wanted my vaccination records but I didn't have a record of all the adult ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,487 Posts
Out of curiosity, can you opt out of the Australian registry?

I cannot in my state. I'm looking for a way to get booster shots for one of my kids without ending up on the registry. It's a pain because I don't want to cross state lines to get vaccines. :irked Some people like registries for the convenience of having easily accessible vaccine records, but I have a few beefs with them.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Out of curiosity, can you opt out of the Australian registry?

I cannot in my state. I'm looking for a way to get booster shots for one of my kids without ending up on the registry. It's a pain because I don't want to cross state lines to get vaccines. :irked Some people like registries for the convenience of having easily accessible vaccine records, but I have a few beefs with them.
Unofficially you can, the way we did it. You have a CO on file so that you're off the registry's radar and then if you wish, you have to vaccinate privately by prescription. I seem to recall our former GP saying as well that after age 7, they were not required to forward information on to the Immunisation Register anyway.

However, it gets problematic if you want to claim any Family Tax Benefits as the national register seems to be the only evidence admissible re: vaccination status and the CO "loophole" for claiming benefits closes the 1 January next year. We haven't bothered to claim anything we're entitled to because it's not worth the hassle, but I imagine it'd be near impossible for us to do so after next year with no centralised records and just prescription receipts, medical records, whatever. Not to mention the fact that the government will likely always want them UTD with the full schedule and that's not going to happen either.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
I voted yes as I just saw them the other day as I was cleaning up old files.
They are photcopies and not the actual books because we have moved a few times and they are boxed away.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Nope, after life as a military spouse, where we moved every 18 months and records never always followed, or were incorrect, a nasty divorce in which I lost most every possession, I doubt our records are correct if they are ever found.

·
Registered
18,827 Posts
Yes, we scan them.
This is probably okay for a record like this.

But do understand that long-term access to any sort of electronic file is always a very tricky matter. This is a major area of paranoia for librarians who take a long view and have seen all sorts of media and storage systems come and go. From clay tablets, through papyrus, parchment, paper...

Whether our current approaches will be more successful than the failed storage methods of the past is still an open question.

Librarian may be a profession almost as old as the so-called oldest. And the libraries always end up burning down, collapsing in earthquakes, rotting away...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts