Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since so many of you ladies own your own diaper selling/making companies, I was wondering if any of you knew how I would go about getting exclusive rights to a particular company name.

I have a name in mind for the company that I am starting and I want to make sure that I secure it. I've done extensive google searching and I do not believe that anyone is currently using this name, although there was somebody using it back in 2005 (her account on diaperpin have been inactive since then). I have gone through the effort and expense of registering domain names and registering accounts on Etsy and Hyena Cart under this name and I would hate for someone else to snag it in the meantime.

Thank you! Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I don't own or work for a diaper company, but I have experience with trademarking a business name. The United States Patent and Trademark Office website has all the info you need to trademark your business name. You can even trademark it under an "intent to use" clause, which allows you to trademark your business name without showing immediate proof of its use in commerce.

If your trademark application gets rejected the first time around, don't take no for an answer until you've carefully examined the supporting materials the "reviewing attorney" sends you. The company I work for was rejected for a trademark the first time they filed, but the trademark office's attorney hadn't reviewed the case carefully and rejected it based on very poor research. The company responded to the refusal, basically just restating the case, and eventually received the trademark.

HTH!

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Use it. Seriously. You need to use it and then be prepared to protect it. But once you use it and have proof of its use (that date you first used it), its yours. You'll be able to defend yourself against others who come after you. But if the other company is active again she would have proof that she used it first and then you'd be out of luck.

There are trademarks and registered trademarks. Once oyu use it its trademarked. Once its registered its a registered trademark. You don't have to do anything beyond use it to own the trademark.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
What Kristine said may be true.
From my research though should someone trademark your name before you do you will have a fight on your hands that you may not necessarily win.

If you/or I care so much about my business name, then why wouldn't you trademark it before anyone else does?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.