Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ds has wringworm. It is one bur very big ( 2in in diameter). We started treatment a month ago with over counter cream for 2 weeks. It did not help much. I took him to dermatologist, he did a scrape to confirm that it is indeed wringworm and prescribed econazole cream. Not much improvement is seen after 2 weeks. What are the next steps? Or is it normal for it to be hard to get rid of? I read that next step is oral medicine but I am scared of side effects. Any experience with these? Any help?

·
Registered
616 Posts
I was actually reading about this this morning. Someone said to put iodine tincture on it,but I can't remember for how long.<br><br>
HTH.

·
Registered
391 Posts
If you are interested in natural methods, there are a few things I've had success with.<br><br>
Try bathing/wiping the area in apple cider vinegar. You might need to dilute it some first. It will sting if there are any open sores where your ds may have scratched. Maybe add some to bath water?<br><br>
You can also try applying tea tree oil (some people can use it straight but for a child I would dilute it in a carrier oil).<br><br>
I've also had success with neem seed oil. It has a very pungent odor - almost garlicky to me.<br><br>
I always read in places to apply things 2-3 times a day but I always feel better applying more often, especially with natural stuff and especially if the ringworm seems resistant.

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
My son had this and we used gentian violet ( the purple stuff that is recommended when moms have thrush while breastfeeding). It worked really well. We painted the spot every 3 days and was gone in about a week, basically the same time for the purple to fade.

·
Registered
14,239 Posts
Is he getting exposed again?

·
Registered
474 Posts
I think that I would try to research TEA TREE OIL<br>
as this is the strongest antifungal, antibacterial and anty anyting..<br>
that nature has to offer.. and it works miracles on those<br>
yacky things of all kinds ..<br><br>
and then I tried to research it for you and found the<br>
curious website on the miracle works of nail polish on the<br>
ringworm???? wow! I don't know anything about this<br>
but if you want to read the comments of people<br>
be my guest:...<br><br><a href="http://susangaer.com/studentprojects/ringworm.htm" target="_blank">http://susangaer.com/studentprojects/ringworm.htm</a><br><br>
I have no opinion on the nailpolish and I probably would<br>
go with tea tree first as this is safer.. just watch your eyes<br>
and read all information carefully..<br><br>
as to nailpolish.. I think that the trick to it is that it cuts off<br>
the oxygen of those things that cause the ringwarms<br>
but I might be off.. is it safe? I have nooooooooo idea..<br>
maybe it is not worse then ringworm?<br><br>
ha ha.

·
Premium Member
15,952 Posts
I did have to resort to oral antifungals for DD1's ringworm a few years back. We did just about every remedy out there, it worked for the ringworm on her body, but once it got into her scalp and turned it into a bleeding, oozing mess, I had run out of options. She didn't have any side effects that I noticed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts