Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My midwife tested my iron when I was 12 weeks and it showed a 12. I am now 30 weeks and for the last 2 months my iron level has been 12 1/4. She said she's a little concerned about the rise and that it can be a sign that I may not be producing enough blood volume and that it could be an early sign of toxemia. She told me to cut out the refined sugar (I have been bad about that lately) and eat more protein (I usually eat about 80 grams a day) and start drinking dandelion tea.

I've been trying unsuccessfully to find information on this. Is this a big problem? Is there anything else I should be doing?

·
Registered
627 Posts
Do you have any other signs or symptoms of toxemia? I consider Dandilion to be a 'big gun' and go to it only with a symptom picture that shows a taxed liver.

Going by hemoglobin levels is an Ann Frye thing. Yes, contracted blood volume is an indication of toxemia, but it is usually not reason enough, standing alone, to treat a mom for toxemia, IMO. Just because you have a slightly higher number hemoglobin this time than last time doesn't mean that you're sick. If I was really concerned about toxemia, then I would need to run liver chems before treating with a strong herb like dandilion.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, is dandelion something that I should avoid unless I REALLY need it (ie, is it dangerous?) By my "pee stick" it says I'm not hydrated enough. She didn't say I had toxemia, just that she was a little concerned about the iron and that sometimes it's an early warning sign. Except for eating more sugar than I usually do the last couple months (which isn't a lot but there have been lots of potlucks and 4th of July parties with brownies and pie
) I think I eat pretty well. I get lots of fruit and protein. My weight gain is good (30lbs in 30 weeks). This is my 2nd child and health-wise I had no problems with #1, of course I went to an OB and I think they generally don't say anything's wrong until it's too late to fix it yourself.

·
Registered
7,527 Posts
start drinking plenty of water, make sure you're getting adequate protein (60-80 grams a day) and don't limit salt. Other than that, I'd just chalk it up to nuttin'!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Can I hijack for a sec?
:

Allison and Pam, with my 2nd pregnancy my iron was always low -- even when I was taking TONS -- and eventually I was dx as being a carrier for the Thalassemia A trait. Huh?
:

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by doula and mom
Can I hijack for a sec?
:

Allison and Pam, with my 2nd pregnancy my iron was always low -- even when I was taking TONS -- and eventually I was dx as being a carrier for the Thalassemia A trait. Huh?
:
That's a good thing to know. My youngest son has a Thalassemia A minor and is always, always testing anemic. Iron doesn't help and can be dangerous for people with thalassemia.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
It's only gone up a .25 of a point? That wouldn't worry me at all, with no other symptoms. I had one lady who's hemoglobin was always around 14, with all three pregnancies, and she had beautiful pregnancies and PP's.

Drink lots and lots of water. People think they're getting enough water and sometimes they're really not. If your pee stick is saying you're dehydrated ( I'm assuming specific gravity) your urine is concentrated and you need more water.

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnesMoM
So, is dandelion something that I should avoid unless I REALLY need it (ie, is it dangerous?)
My understanding was that dandelion root is pretty safe. I've been taking it my entire pregnancy (since it's supposed to help avoid PUPPPs rash, which I got after birth last time). I take milk thistle on a less regular basis, which I thought was more of a concern (pre-term labor) than dandelion root. I'm no midwife, but my midwife wasn't concerned at all. I'm also interested to hear what's bad about dandelion?

- Krista

1 - 11 of 11 Posts