Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm posting this here because the number of and risk of medical errors has been mentioned here before in the context of a person is more likely to suffer from medical error than a vpd.

Well, ever since this story broke on our local news a few weeks ago, it's been bugging me. Here's the link to a follow-up story on hospital error in my area.

Quote:
That doesn't include three state violations and three federal violations found at St. Mary's last week after an investigation of Jasmine Gant's death during childbirth July 5.

A nurse mistakenly gave Gant an epidural anesthetic intravenously, the state investigation found. Gant's baby boy survived.
Basically, the articles before this one have said that this girl went in for an induction (don't know why) and they were supposed to give her penicillin and they gave her an epidural in the iv instead. This scares the begeesus out of me because I had both my kids at that very hospital and was given penicillin because my dc's were pre-term (unknown group b strep status).

And they wonder why we question some standard medical procedures.

·
Registered
855 Posts
From the link.

Quote:
Leftover sponge: The patient's death certificate said "death due to operative misadventure."
That's just pathetic. Operative misadventure.

Quote:
Meriter now uses a "sponge counter," a compartmental bag into which operating room nurses place sponges removed during surgery and count them.
YIKES! Every hospital I have ever worked in has a sponge policy. In fact, there is one particular nurse assigned the duty of counting the sponges as they go in, counting them as they come out and weighing them. I wouldn't set the nail of my pinkie toe in the door at Meriter if they didn't have a "sponge counter" policy in effect prior to that incident.

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Well, a friend of mine's daughter recently forced the hospital to remove a pin in her daughters leg, left there from a fracture. Originally they wouldn't take it out, but the girl began to experience excrutiating pain and cold around the area, so the mother asked me what I'd do. I said... "The body says its a big splinter and wants it out, so take it out."

It took six months and major bullying of the hospital to make them remove it.

The night before, she rang me from hospital really jittery, and said CAN I trust them. I said "No... make sure you write on the records in lots of places that your daughter is allergic to MORPHINE, and make sure they X-ray it after they take it out to make sure that the bits are all out."

So she comes back from surgery (they refused the second X-ray) and despite the note they give the girl morphine
and when the pain wouldn't go they X-ray it again to find they left the washer and screw in there where the took the pin out.

You really have to wonder... buncha morons
:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts