Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a bit concerned about some upcoming work assignments. I am currently 7 weeks pregnant (1st pregnancy) and work an office job.

However, sometimes we do events outdoors. We just got an assignment for a few days in mid July, working at a few traffic stops for 6 hour stints. I live in an area with horrible humidity and temps possibly in the 90s on those July days. (So far we are having a cool summer.)

I wanted to wait until my second trimester to tell anyone at work or anyone beside my husband and best friend about the pregnancy. However, I'm worried that the lack of a bathroom, along with the possibility of morning sickness, could create a problem. And, I'm wondering how prolonged heat might affect me. Right now, if I'm hot, I go inside or turn up the air. If I'm cold, I put more clothes on.

What do you think? I can probably arrange to work a stop with a nearby public restroom. And I can have a backpack with plenty of food and water. But I can't control the heat. Is there a certain temperature that raises concern?

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I don't think you need to worry about hurting the baby unless its over 100 (that why hot tubs are a no-no), or if you body temp gets over 100 degrees, like if you exercised in hot weather. I think if its around 90, you just need to worry about being comfortable and hydrated, and I wouldn't want to stand for that long too, I was so tired in my first trimester. You could try one of those personal air conditioner things that goes around your neck from Sharper Image. Also, a good hat. If you head stays cool, it makes a big difference.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I don't think that it would hurt you either, just a comfort thing. Make sure you pack several FROZEN water bottles. Not only can you drink it as it melts, but you can "snuggle" with them when you start feeling too hot. Also, my neice has some kind of thing that looks like a necktie (but thicker) that you soak in water and it holds the temp for a long time. I don't know what they have inside them, but I see them at craft shows all the time. You would just have to soak it down w/ your ice water every once in a while.

Good Luck
Terri

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Be sure to stay hydrated and listen to your body! It will surely let you know
Congratulations!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts