Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't sure if anyone has chosen this route before.

I'm still looking into the pros and cons of both kinds of midwives and in my state currently CPM's aren't regulated and CNM's are.

I wasnt' sure what sort of liability comes into play with maintaining your RN licensure etc.

I'd love to become a midwife someday just still not sure what kind and it probably won't be until my kids are in school.

· Registered
124 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by turnquia View Post
I wasn't sure if anyone has chosen this route before.

I'm still looking into the pros and cons of both kinds of midwives and in my state currently CPM's aren't regulated and CNM's are.

I wasnt' sure what sort of liability comes into play with maintaining your RN licensure etc.

I'd love to become a midwife someday just still not sure what kind and it probably won't be until my kids are in school.
I looked into it a while back while researching different paths to becoming a midwife. If you are an RN and a CPM catching babies you will be practicing out of scope as an RN and can loose your nursing license.

Im just going to do direct apprenticeship and do the PEP route to become a CPM.

· Registered
229 Posts
My midwife is a CPM who is an RN (she was an ICU nurse for years before becoming a midwife). From what I gathered she never had an issue (she attended both of my births so we've talked about alot of stuff). She is getting her CNM now, but only because more insurance companies pay for CNMs than CPMs around here.

· Premium Member
15,767 Posts
It differs from state to state as well. A MW that I am friendly with in town, moved from Seattle, had her CPM and RN there, no issues. In order to practice in this state, she can not hold those dual licenses and she had to give up her RN.

· Registered
3 Posts
Never heard of being a CPM and conflicting with being an RN. Now, if you are a CNM(certified nurse-midwife) doing homebirths, that is different. There are different laws per state and some require that you have an actually doctor back-up, which is hard to attain. It is difficult to practice homebirth midwifery being a CNM. I'm a RN and a CPM and so are alot of other CPM's that I know have RN licenses and it does not conflict.
One does not need a nursing degree to be a CPM, but it can be helpful, especially when you transprot a patient to a hospital. Being a CPM versus a RN is very, very different. No garauntee of money, long hours, alot of advocacy of your vocation, no health insurance, no liability insurance, many times you need a second job. A person has really got to love doing what they do and it be more of a mission in life than a career when you are a CPM.
Best of Luck!

· Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I was hoping to maybe become a CPM and maintain my RN and work perdiem once a month at the hospital I'm at now to keep my foot in the door and my licensure. But wasn't sure how it worked if I was at a homebirth and something happened if in the state I"m in... I'd be considered practicing beyond my scope of practice.

I'm in Michigan and CPM's aren't licensed or registered with the state in any way. So wasn't sure how it would work. And really this is a thought of mine that is a few years away. I want my kids in school before going back to school so I can focus on my learning solely.

· Registered
33 Posts
I think it's primarily an issue if you are in an unregulated state that is also hostile to OOH midwives. I know midwives that have lost their RN or were threatened with losing their RN for practicing midwifery/medicine without a license.

· Registered
5,511 Posts
I have known a few RNs who were asked to surrender their nursing licenses because of midwifery practice-
what are the actual laws in your state as far as midwifery legality and what are the laws governing CNMs ? I find that because most CNMs in my state decide
to enter into a practice with doctors and they sign a practice agreement - that does legally bind them but the over all state law is not prohibitive of CNM homebirth practice and in fact CNMs and other advanced practice nurses are considered to be independent providers and need to have a plan for referral - but it is very common to hear people(including medical providers)say that it is not legal for a CNM to attend a home birth or write 'scrips without doc backup- and it simply is just not true... so look carefully at your state laws and also find out if there is any legislation in the works toward changing the status of advanced practice nurses.

· Registered
1 Posts
Well I was hoping to maybe become a CPM and maintain my RN and work perdiem once a month at the hospital I'm at now to keep my foot in the door and my licensure. But wasn't sure how it worked if I was at a homebirth and something happened if in the state I"m in... I'd be considered practicing beyond my scope of practice.

I'm in Michigan and CPM's aren't licensed or registered with the state in any way. So wasn't sure how it would work. And really this is a thought of mine that is a few years away. I want my kids in school before going back to school so I can focus on my learning solely.
I know this feed is from years ago, but I am wondering if you ever figured it out and if you started towards your CPM? I am in Michigan also and an RN as well. I am just starting towards my CPM. I would love to hear what you discovered!

Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.