Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of taking my 5 yo and going to some national parks. We have passports that can be stamped at the various parks. There are quite a few, so I'm thinking of doing a Revolutionary War theme, and buying the series Liberty's Kids for a little background. I've already introduced her to George Washington and his alleged cherry tree incident.

These are the parks related to the theme:
George Washington's Birthplace
Piscataway Park -a middle-class farm, and across from Mount Vernon
Claude Moore Colonial Farm -working colonial era farm(though it seems like they were poorer folk)
Thomas Stone National Historic Site
Too many spots in DC to list, although it's not the first time in DC for us, so we have a few of these stamps. I might take her to the Washington Monument even though I've already been.

Other parks we're hitting:
Assateague -camping on the beach!
Great Falls Park- water falls
Statue of Liberty -heard the crown was open again, although I was too late to get tickets for the period we're going.
some New York City area parks
Maybe Richmond Battlefield, although I'm not ready to explain the Civil war so much yet.

The general route will be from Raleigh, NC to the DC area to the NYC area then back home to Florida in about 2 weeks. If anyone has suggestions on the various National Parks, it'd be greatly appreciated. I've thought of Mount Vernon, but it's not a national park.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Philly's sites are pretty close together, with the exception of Old Swede's Church, and that's really close to I-95. You could find parking near Independence Hall and easily walk to the Kosciusko house and the Poe house. Then again, those might not be all that interesting to a five-year old.

Valley Forge is west of Philly. There are also intersesting sites near Trenton, NJ, but they are probably state sites, not NPS. Washington's Crossing is pretty cool--north of Trenton. I think it's state-run on both sides of the river (so, separate PA/NJ sites/parks).

What route are you driving? The Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive (Shenandoah National Park) are gorgeous.

Fort McHenry was mostly important during the War of 1812, but it's a very nice layover point on the way north. It's just south of the tunnel in Baltimore and a very good legstretcher on the river/harbor. My 2yo liked it (cannons!), so I imagine a 5yo would find it interesting.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by jocelyndale View Post
Philly's sites are pretty close together, with the exception of Old Swede's Church, and that's really close to I-95. You could find parking near Independence Hall and easily walk to the Kosciusko house and the Poe house. Then again, those might not be all that interesting to a five-year old.

Valley Forge is west of Philly. There are also intersesting sites near Trenton, NJ, but they are probably state sites, not NPS. Washington's Crossing is pretty cool--north of Trenton. I think it's state-run on both sides of the river (so, separate PA/NJ sites/parks).

What route are you driving? The Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive (Shenandoah National Park) are gorgeous.

Fort McHenry was mostly important during the War of 1812, but it's a very nice layover point on the way north. It's just south of the tunnel in Baltimore and a very good legstretcher on the river/harbor. My 2yo liked it (cannons!), so I imagine a 5yo would find it interesting.
Yea, we were in Philly in 2007, so got most of those sites except for the ones you specifically mentioned. I'm saving the Poe house for a trip when she's older, and we can do a scary theme, hitting Salem and those parts too.

I've been looking at the NPS site, I just wanted to see if people had personal experiences with some of the parks, especially the lesser known ones. Something along the lines of - "Oh Claude Moore farm - smells like cow manure, not so fun for older kids, blah blah blah."

I'm taking 95, I'm not sure gorgeous scenery will be appreciated after the 12th hr of driving.

Great Falls is near DC.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts