1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>hi ya'll...</p>
<p> </p>
<p>first time momma with many questions, but here's my current one:</p>
<p>our DS is 4 months and has absolutely no interest in rolling.  ive been increasing his playtime while he lays on his back with toys off to the side to try to encourage his curiosity, but to no avail.  im also laying beside him to see if that would trigger his interest. </p>
<p>i know all babies are different and progress at their own pace, but any tips?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>thanks!!</p>

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
<p>First off, I wouldn't worry at all. 4 months is usually the earliest babies start to roll over. When DD was a baby I don't think she rolled over until well after 6 months. She sat up and crawled and walked late too. She was my lazy baby but she was early for other things like talking. This new guy is much more eager to be physical and he'll probably roll over soon. But there is such a wide range of average when it comes to these things. With that said, I would encourage lots of tummy time at that age. Usually babies first roll from their tummies to their backs and back to tummy doesn't come until later. So maybe try putting baby on her tummy and then sitting behind her and talk to her. Naturally she'll want to tweak her head to see you and that's the start of getting the feel for rolling.</p>
<br>

·
Registered
178 Posts
<p>My little one rolled over maybe 10 times on her own at 3months old (back to belly AND belly to back)...but she is now 5months old and has no interest to roll over.  I try to encourage her all the time but she doesn't see a need to try again..at all..lol  However, she does sit up unassisted like a little pro and I figure when she truly masters that skill, maybe she will try the rolling thing again.  :)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I would lay next to her on the bed and when I would see her leaning towards one side, I would push down on the bed to help her roll over on her "own"...After doing that several times she started doing it all by herself.  I then moved her on the floor and she was a little pro. Hopefully that helps a little.  :)</p>

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
<p>That's still well within a normal range for not rolling.  Neither of my kids rolled well until at least 5-6mo, they just didn't care much.  Infact my DD was sitting unsupported at 4mo, but didn't roll until after 5mo.  Each kid goes at their own pace, I wouldn't worry about it at all.</p>

·
Registered
1 Posts
<p>Same here. When DD was about 3.5 months she rolled tummy to back three times in a row, then nothing. Recently she rolled twice in one evening (tummy to back,) but she really doesn't seem to care for it. She's more interested in sitting up (almost on her own,) trying to stand when she's on my lap, and being generally squirmy. Most of my friends' babies have been the same way, apparently rolling over is way overrated  :)</p>

·
Registered
302 Posts
<p>My DD learned to roll completely out of order with typical milestones.  She sat at 5 months, scooted at 6, crawled at the end of 7, and started pulling to stand now that she's 8 months....but this whole time she just wasn't rolling on her own.  Just last week at 8.5 months she started rolling...I don't know why its all out of order...maybe because we swaddled her for a while?  (birth until 4 months)  maybe because she always naps/sleeps in a sleep sack?  I dunno, because I gave her lots of tummy play time, and even played a rolling game with her. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I will say that it actually was a little simpler with her not rolling...now she's trying to flip over every time I change her diaper!</p>
<p>Whatever the reason, it seems like she's doing just fine, and my guess is that your son will be just fine too.</p>

·
Registered
454 Posts
<p>Yeah, I agree with the above post. Be grateful! My son rolled over just after three months and now every diaper change is an adventure. If decides he doesn't like the changing, which he does most of the time, he just flips himself right over and gets up on his hands and knees! Then he complains most bitterly when you flip him back.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I've got one of those early physical milestone babies. For instance, he started creeping today. He turned five months yesterday. It's not all it's cracked up to be! Often, I've wished for one of those babies that just like to lay there or be held quietly.</p>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts