Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, we saved a rooster that was dumped on a wildlife refuge my dh works. I suspect the coyotes would have made short work of him. Only my family could go fishing and come home with a rooster!
dizzy.gif

He's in a 4 by 2 by 2 cage at the moment. We gave him bird seed and water. We've been keeping him in the garage at nigh, and then taking his cage out during the day and putting him in the sun if it's cool and in the shade if it's hot. He's currently out front crowing away.
lol.gif
It makes me giggle, because I can just guess what the neighbors are thinking. We're already the weird ones.
lol.gif

I wish I could take him out of his cage, but I suspect he'd head right for the woods, and we had a heck of a time catching him last time. I have no desire to do that again. We actually live on the wildlife refuge, so lots of critters that would love a chicken dinner.
eat.gif

So what else should I be doing for him?

P.S. We have a poulty farm that will take him, but I've heard such horror stories that I just can't bring myself to do that. Yes, that's right. I've become attached to the rooster.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
If he is agressive you can remove the spurs. I did not have to on mine.You can dust him with sevin or garden poultry dust for lice. Give some black oil sunflower seeds. I actually gave my guy a foot bath(and a blue kote spray) due to caked on manure/sores.

Are you going to get him some ladies? I have 7 hens for Jack.I have read it should be 10. There are times I have put him in a crate when he goes wacky with crowing.They will crow to call the ladies,and crow to let others know *this* is HIS territory. Heck,mine just crows to crow.Not good since we live in a neighborhood!

·
Premium Member
17,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for all the advice!! I kind of wish we could have kept him, but we already have 4 cats, a dog, a bunny, a chinchilla, and fish. He's on his way to a SPCA that also has a little farm. So hopefully he'll be well taken care of! He was really cute! I never thought I'd think of a chicken like that!
lol.gif

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.