Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok ...let me give you the run down really quick. My sister took my niece to the ER on friday night because she thought she had a seizure and her temp was 105.6 ( she is 5). When she got to the hospital it was 102 but even after they gave her tylenol and motrin over a period of 2 hours it didn't go down. They ran a few test and told my sister that they weren't sure what it was but all her test came back negative ( not sure what they tested for). She had been diagnosed with strep earlier that week and was on antibiotics for it. Saturday morning she took her to her regular doc for follow up and they said the strep was negative and whatever she had now was viral. Well sunday and monday she was fine. I went and picker her up at her after school program yesterday and kept her until my sister got off work. She was around my 7 month old, I told her not to get in his face just in case she was still sick but she did a couple times anyway. Today when my sister took her to school she had a rash on her trunk, so she took her to the doc and they said it was roseola and the fever was the first part of it, they told her that it was very contagious. I am not really worried about it but I thought I would see what you guys thought to maybe ease my mind a little and DP, he wants to have DS vaccinated and has an argument about it every time it is brought up, so maybe I can have something to tell him. I did talk to the NP where I work and she said there isn't much they can do for it and it isn't dangerous and she also said of course if he got it now, he probably wouldn't ever get it again.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi - My DD just got over Roseola. She had a fever for 3 days (never higher than 102), she looked peaked and pale but her spirits were pretty good. I did call the doctor who suggested she should come in. She was prescribed an antibiotic (?!?) in case (?!?) it was sinus related and said that 3 days was long enough for a fever. I didn't want to give it to her so I took her home and waited out the night. Her fever was gone the next morning (phew -no antibiotic) but by the afternoon she was covered in a rash (trunk). We went back to the doctor, she was diagnosed with Roseola and we were told that 24 hours after the rash appears we could be back to our normal routine, daycare and all. It is contagious before the rash appears. Anyway, my point is is that for us it wasn't a big deal at all. For the most part DD played, ate as usual and slept a bit more. Over and done with within a week.

I hope that helps a bit.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Ds has roseola a couple months ago. Really not a big deal--fever, some lethargy, and then a rash after the fever broke. I think it's most common for kids before age two, and I don't even think there's a vax for it (although there's a vax for everything these days . . . ).

There's some good practical info here: http://askdrsears.com/html/8/T083600.asp

·
Registered
14,488 Posts
Quote:
...I would see what you guys thought to maybe ease my mind a little and DP, he wants to have DS vaccinated and has an argument about it every time it is brought up...
There isn't even a vaccine for roseola.

Why do people think they should vaccinate for other things when a child has an infection for which there is not even a vaccine? Makes no sense to me.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
There isn't any vax for roseola so that should be a nonissue in this case. DS had roseola earlier this year also and it was rather uneventful. He had a nasty fever for a few days. I kept tabs on it, didn't use any tylenol but kept him comfy, nursed him a ton, gave him extra vitamin C...his fever was never higher than 103. He was a little crankier than usual but otherwise everything wasn't much different. The fever lasted about three days then went down and he had a light rash over his body for about a day. I am guessing it can't be TOO terribly contagious; DD never had roseola and did not come down with it when DS had it despite them battling over toys.

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamimapster View Post
there is no vax for roseola- be aware too, having roseola will make your Dc immune to chicken pox (at least this is what my mom was told when she got it).
No. This is absolutely false. Do you know if it was a doc who told your mom that? It's astounding that anyone told her that, but it's totally not based in reality.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Plummeting View Post
No. This is absolutely false. Do you know if it was a doc who told your mom that? It's astounding that anyone told her that, but it's totally not based in reality.
Well, she would have had it in the 40's- and it was something she would say whenever any one we knew had chicken pox-she never got it(nor did I)- i'll have to ask who told her that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts