Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For people using this program . . . .

I am under the impression that all languages teach the same things in the same lessons. so regardless of the language the first lesson is boy girl horse man woman over under in car table etc. . . . right? if not ignore this question . . .

Ok so what I need to know is, is there a lesson where it teaches you the practical stuff like greetings and such. We are learning a language where we are immersed in the culture and I am telling you . . "The dog is under the table" just doesn't come up in conversation. I know how to say good morning but otherwise I am lost when it comes to greeting people and such. I would like to skip ahead if there is a lesson that teaches these things.

also does anyone know where to get a basic scope and sequences. all the lesson titles are in the language we are learning so I really have no idea whats coming or anything.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Go to Rosetta Stone's website and download the free trial (not just the tiny little mini-sample that's embedded in website, but the big version with all of the languages.) Then go preview the English version (ie - the one designed to teach English). You'll be able to read all of the lesson headers in English there.

·
Registered
17,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
we are doing Greek (but i think they teach the same words in the same order in every language) and I am sure i could find it somewhere else. i was just wondering if anyone had been through enough of the Rosetta Stone program to find out which lesson contains the social greetings and such. I am really surprised that they start with such random stuff ("the old lady has long hair") without telling you how to say hello and thank you.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have Rosetta Stone for Spanish and was kind of surprised at the same thing. So far we haven't gotten to the greetings and such that you are looking for on the program itself, but the Student Study Guide Level 1 book contains a lot of beginner information like that. I would think your might too?

I actually just started playing around with the program a little the other day and I think you might be able to access a lot of what is in the book on the program, but I'm not 100% sure. I want to keep playing with it and see where it takes me, but I haven't had the time lately.

Hope that helps somewhat!

·
Registered
9,943 Posts
We've played around with Rosetta Stone, but haven't fully committed to purchasing it yet.

I did have Pimsleur (both the gigantic set and the smaller, more affordable set). The Pimsleur sets are all about practical greetings, how do I get to the train station, type stuff.

Here's the smaller one for Greek http://www.amazon.com/Greek-Modern-C...d_i=0671043994

·
Registered
17,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
we don't have the student books or anything.

thanks umsami. I think to be truely fluent we are going to have to use moer than one program. My children have been declared by native speakers to have perfect accents though which is something I am thrilled about with this program (and this despite not being able to get the voice recognition soft ware to give them any credit
: so if your little dial never moves, don't lose heart)

·
Registered
9,943 Posts
I live in an area that has a pretty big Greek population... Greek Orthodox school... Greek grocery store, etc. If you are looking for things that you can't find where you are, PM me... and I'll see what I can do.
Two blocks away they have Greek for preschoolers!

·
Registered
17,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We are Greek Orthodox (almost) which is why we eventually decided on Greek. It is my hope that the church will start offering Greek class one day
Most of the people there are fluent though so would have no need for Greek classes. They all have such a love of the language and culture. It is contagious
. I really thought I would have no interest in learning the language but within a few weeks I was falling in love.

·
Registered
10,468 Posts
We just recently got the Homeschool spanish version and I have been thinking that I wanted dd to learn the letters in spanish and so on as well. ITA with the poster who mentioned using multiple systems. I plan on enrolling her in an 'after school' spanish program at a local elementary school that the University is sponsoring. There they will begin with letters and greetings and such. I must say that it's a bit disappointing to me.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
A lot of times you start with random things when learning a language because it is easiest to learn simple grammar and vocabulary that way and then you will learn colloquial greetings, etc.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.