Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>My 7 mo old got all 3 doses of the rotateq vaccine. 2 days after the first one, she had mucus in her stools for the first time and would pull off crying. Ever since then, she's been having it on and off. First time, I thought that it was wheat. I cut it out and it seemed to have improved after a month. After the 2nd and 3rd doses and a new thing - blood in her stools, I am now dairy-soy-egg free. It is better now although I still have wheat in my diet. Which makes me wonder: earlier, it went away when I was wheat free. Now, soy and such free. I am a lacto-vegetarian and ovo-lacto during pregnancy. Is it even my diet related? I may be doing more harm than good by cutting out important food groups? Up until she had the first dose, I ate everything with 0 spice with no problems.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Anyone else experience this?</p>

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
<p><a href="http://www.rotateq.com/" target="_blank">http://www.rotateq.com/</a></p>
<p> </p>
<p>from the website: </p>
<p> </p>
<div class="quote-container"><span>Quote:</span>
<div class="quote-block">
<div>Call your child’s doctor or go to the emergency department right away if, following any dose of RotaTeq, your child has vomiting, diarrhea, severe stomach pain, blood in their stool or change in bowel movements. These may be signs of a serious and life-threatening problem called intussusception.</div>
</div>
</div>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Blood in the stool is not normal or expected and should be checked out.  I would call the doctor.</p>

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<p>I did take her to her pediatrician multiple times about this and its been 5 months since her first dose when the mucus began. He even looked at her diaper where I thought there was blood, but he didn't think it was concerning especially, I suppose, as she is in no apparent pain, it has been over 6 weeks now since first appearance of blood in stool (we're trying an elimination diet), and it isn't in all bowel movements, and she has 2-3 a day with increases when she's teething I think.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Mucus decreased greatly after I eliminated dairy. But I was wondering if she got sensitized to various proteins because of the repeat assault of weakened rotavirus on her gut. And her gut is attacking everything back.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>On a related note, has anyone used probiotics for treating intolerance? At last visit, doc said that it isn't a true allergy because it appears to be a local gut response and not a systemic one.</p>

·
Registered
1 Posts
<p>just wanted to let anyone else know my little girls story in case they are looking for more answers- DD has been having blood in stools for about 2 months but cannot remember if it started before first rota vaccine. went to paed and was told she had allergic colitis and in this case to dairy, as i had noticed it became worse if i had consumed more dairy than average. cut out dairy for just over a week and no blood.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>had 2nd rota vaccine two days ago and a lot of blood 24 hrs later. Reserched ingrediants of vaccine, found it contains "fetal bovine serum" sounds gross i know and am started to worry about all ingrediants in all vaccines but looking more at "fbs" it has high levels of protein which is what actually causes allergic colitis, high levels of protein in dairy, soy eggs etc.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>so i would reccommend to keep avoiding dairy and i'm hoping after the proteins from vaccine leave my DD body she also improves</p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
<p>have you tried a pediatric gastroenterologist? my DD's(she's 18) dr dismissed her dull belly pains repeatedly, and turned out she had a tumor in her colon that they found after an acute appendicitis attack, which was brought on by the tumor.  They kept telling her all along it was gas and she should eat this and this. Til she ended up in the OR with an appendectomy. I personally would not ignore any GI symptoms at all.  </p>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts