Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Premium Member
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
right now we are incredibly broke...beyond broke (dh got laid off) but for future reference, where you do you get your roving for felting? best prices? etc... can you use regular wool yarn? or does it have to be roving/carded? i know that's probably the best, but in a pinch can you use yarn?

thanks in advance!

oh, and yes, i'm going to be having alot more questions for you lovely ladies and gents while i get started full time in our waldorf life!

· Registered
2,911 Posts
Well, what do you want to make? Roving can be wet felted, needle felted or used in nuno felting. Wool yarn can be knit or corcheted into something, then washed in hot water which felts the wool together. I have bought wool roving on ebay and at local crafts shops. I've also seen it on freecycle, and here some people get some from swaps on the swap board, if you have access.

· Premium Member
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you all for your suggestions and your support..

· Premium Member
1,983 Posts
If you can get your hands on the latest copy of Living Crafts magazine, it's dedicated to wool and there are several articles on felting. Now, to get to your question: they also compiled a list of resources for roving and show what the cost per ounce is.

· Premium Member
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you for all your suggestions...and a special thanks to a great mdc mama here!
she knows who she is....

· Registered
5,157 Posts
get living crafts for sure if you can cat
but yeah freecycle craigslist and our local farm have been my friends

ya!
Im's so excited you're getting into waldorf schooling

· Registered
107 Posts
I second Craigslist. Just do a wanted to buy posting in arts and crafts, and just say it's for crafts with your children, you probably will be amazed at the response. I just did that three days ago for wool for stuffing waldorf dolls, a local sheep farmer called and said she had more wool than she new what to do with, I can have a whole bunch for free, I just have to card it. I bet the same thing will happen to you. I hope your financial situation gets better too!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.