Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a relatively new to sewing clothing...so bear with me. I made a RRP last night and have a couple of questions. (it is sooo stinking cute by the way!!!)<br><br>
Would I want the fabric to stretch side to side (in order to get the most snug fit), or top to bottom? I did top to bottom as the pattern would only fit that way on the fabric I have. I was thinking I could get a nice snug fit if the stretch went around my babe instead. But alas, all my fabric is the same width.<br><br>
Also, this is more of a sewing question, rather than diaper specific...but I'm here and you all sew! How in the world do I make a nice smooth turn while sewing? I can do a nice gradual curve, but sewing around things like the diaper back wings? Forget it? They are a mess! This is not the first time I've had trouble with this either. I'm beginning to think it could be my machine. My presser foot seems to be overly tight, though there is no way to adjust it. As for lowering the feed dogs - its all or nothing. I cannot sew without the feed dogs there to move my fabric along.<br><br>
Is this a machine problem or my technique?<br><br>
Thanks mama's!<br>
~L.

·
Registered
3 Posts
For a nicer curve on the RRP wings, I do this. When you get to where you need to make a sharp turn, stop with the needle down in the fabric. Lift your presser foot & turn the fabric a little. Take a few stitches, or how ever many you need. Stop w/ the needle down again, lift the presser foot & turn the fabric. You can do this til you get back to a straight seam again. It's a little slower going, but I think it gives a nicer look. Good luck!<br><br>
Erin

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Erin. I've been doing this a little bit and you are right it does help. I just thought that I should be able to turn my fabric more easily than I can.<br><br>
Guess not huh?<br><br>
Anyone have an answer to this part of my question?<br>
****Would I want the fabric to stretch side to side (in order to get the most snug fit), or top to bottom?****<br><br>
I'm holding off making any more diapers.....<br><br>
Thanks!<br>
~L.

·
Registered
147 Posts
i stretch my fabric from side to side, instead of top to bottom due to weight, kwim? but i dont really hv to deal with the issue since my inners are microfleece and outer is always denim or any recycled fabric that dont stretch. hidden layer is waterproof fabric.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I agree with the side to side for stretching.<br><br>
As for the curves, I think it just comes with practice, and doing the "lift the presser foot, move the fabric" thing. My first were awful, my latest have been better. But not anywhere close to perfect!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts