Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am struggling with huge anxiety on this. Any help would be really appreciated.

I am now nearly 13 weeks pregnant. As far as I know (since my last test 5 years ago) I am not immune to rubella. I have been shielding myself as best I can during these early weeks.

Two weeks ago (when I was 10 weeks) my 2 year old (who has not had the MMR yet) went to the park and played with two children who were of the age when the second MMR dose is given (aged between 3 and 5). I was not there but my husband was. My husband assures me that the children did not go close to each other and there was no sneezing or coughing.

My fear is that one of the other children might have recently had an MMR vaccination which could have shed to my child and been passed to me. My child has no symptoms. I don't think I do but I do worry that I may have mild ones, or they could be my mind being a b*tch.

Anyway, I am trying to get a test done but so far no luck and I may be too late for a test to show if I have had a recent infection.

Am I mad, or do I have reason for concern?

Thank you to whoever replies.

·
Registered
25,017 Posts
I suggest that you ask your doctor/midwife or your child's pediatrician to do the appropriate tests if possible.

They are the experts.

Editted to add that the viral shedding from a vaccine is theoretical. I am sure it happens, but doctors do not look for it. Since you probably had rubella as a child or got the vaccine, I assume you have immunity. Furthermore, the most likely person to have recently received an MMR vaccine is a woman who has just been released from the hospital postpartum and got an MMR booster since she is a non-responder.

There is a lot that we do not know about vaccines and the immune system. Stay healthy, take your vitamin C and A, and ask your doctor about your MMR titers which all women are checked for at the beginning of pregnancy. I was each time and when I got married.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Its never too late for an antibody test...and sounds like emotional fear has overruled rational thinking. Are you not afraid of contracting covid while pregnant too? I would be more concerned with that, myself if i were pregnant

·
Registered
19,158 Posts
It sounds like a stretch for you to have gotten enough of an exposure to get sick. However, while you are waiting to get a test you could up your Vitamin A. The main way viral illnesses damage babies is by causing a severe vitamin A deficiency in mother and baby because the illness uses up all the Vitamin A available. Since this vitamin is essential for helping your body build the baby's body, damage can, occasionally, occur. Even with a definite rubella exposure, the majority of pregnancies come through without problems.

I think you need to take a deep breath and stop worrying. But it is tough. There is so much scaremongering around rubella exposure during pregnancy.

Reactions: applejuice

·
Registered
8,888 Posts
Ok, people go out all the time and practically no one gets rubella (which we can assume from the lack of congenital rubella) despite the fact many women test as having low or no antibodies to rubella. I think the odds are highly in your favour.

Ok - did some quick research. You are in England.

"Since April 2016, pregnant women in the UK have not been offered screening for rubella susceptibility. Previously, all pregnant women were offered a blood test to check whether they were immune to rubella. This change reflects the great success of the MMR vaccine in reducing transmission of the rubella virus to almost zero. This means that pregnant women are protected from rubella by herd immunity. In 2011, a review by the UK National Screening Committee (UK NSC) found that there were almost no cases of congenital rubella syndrome in the UK (less than 1 case per 100,000 live births). According to World Health Organization criteria, this effectively means the disease has been eliminated. The UK NSC therefore recommended that the screening programme should stop. See the Public Health England statement for more information. Women of child-bearing age will still be offered the MMR vaccine if they have not already had it, or are not sure if they have had it."

https://vk.ovg.ox.ac.uk/vk/rubella

I hope this puts your mind at ease.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hugely appreciated all of your replies. Thank you so much, it has really helped. My amazing midwife has found a place that tests for both recent rubella and rubella antibodies. It took her some searching!

Again, many thanks. Yes, there is so much scaremongering and it is hard for someone with anxiety to navigate.

xxx

·
Registered
25,017 Posts
Let us know how everything turns out.

We learn from each other, all of the time.

Reactions: Deborah
1 - 8 of 8 Posts