Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been reading some threads on the silly comments people have been saying to pregnat people and i want to compile a list of do's and dont's to teach my kids how to interact with pregnant women in the future, also its a bit of fun

so here goes, i hae a few but im sure there are others.

1) Never assume a Woman is pregnant. wait untill they volunteer the information
2) The ONLY appropriate comment on finding out someone is pregnant is "congratulations" or "oh how wonderfull"
3) NEVER touch a pregnant woman tummy with out permission unless she is your wife/sister/mother/best friend and even then ask first.
4) The only comments on a pregnant womans apperance should be "you look wonderfull" or something equaly possitivre
5) Never think you can tell a pregnant woman what she can/cant eat/do/wear/go
5a) NEVER mess with a pregnant womans food, on pain of the glare of DEATH
6) when asking if she knows the gender of her unborn child the only appropriate comment is "Oh how lovely" "oh wonderfull a _____ for DS/DD"
7) never tell a pregnat woman she is getting "huge" "big" gonna "pop soon"
8) never ask a pregnant woman "have you not had that baby yet!"
9) always offer assistance to a pregnant woman, such as giving up a seat, holding a door, carrying bag, etc if she declines the offer thats fine, dont push it.
10) unless you are the womans Dr/MW/HCP never offer medical advice.
11) do not i repeat DO NOT tell a newly pregnant woman your labour/delivery "horror" stories, she doesnt need to hear it, just do not do it. ever!
12)we may be pregnat but we are not fraglie litle girls who need protectiong from the big bad world, if we are out and about at 38/39/40/41 weeks its because we CHOOSE to or NEED to, we still have chores that need doing, we may be walking to get labour going, we dont want to be told we should be "at home, resting, get DH to wait on you" that wont pay the bills or put food on the table, instead see Number 9)

thats all i can come up with at the moment.

Kiz

·
Registered
12,040 Posts
We should post this in public bathroom stalls to share with the general public!

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I think the only thing that really bothered me the first time I was pregnant-and it bothers me even more now looking back-is that it seemed like EVERYONE, and I am talking like 1 out of 2 people, felt that they NEEDED to tell me about how they or their wife or girlfriend miscarried once or twice. I walked around for the first 14 weeks terrified all the time. What is the point of telling them that? I think this goes along with not telling your birth horror story.

I do talk about the pain, to be honest to people, but I always make it a point to briefly mention that I had a quick, natural, tear free water birth at home with my son and he was a week early.

Oh, you should add to the list that people should stop telling first time mothers that their baby will most likely come late. The body listens to what we believe about it.

·
Registered
471 Posts
13. never tell a pregnant woman it looks like she's having twins.

gah.

even when I wasn't pregnant I was wearing something unflattering and someone asked me if I was expecting. I could have shot her.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spring Sun View Post

Oh, you should add to the list that people should stop telling first time mothers that their baby will most likely come late. The body listens to what we believe about it.
The problem with this is that so many women think they will go earlier because their doctors tell them "well, your effaced to this and this many cm, so you'll go any day now!" That makes it even worse. I just like to tell first time moms, you'll have that baby when he/she is ready to come. I always end up telling people my 42 week day too because it's annoying to be to 38 weeks and people start asking you when you're going to have that baby. When I tell people the 42 week day they think the baby is early

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.