Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been alternating between jogging and the eliptical machine. But my knees seem to only be able to handle so much. This always happens as I'm trying to get in shape. My cardiovascular strength is ready for more, but my knees can't. So if I push it, I end up not being able to do anything!

Today, I ran about 3 miles in 30 minutes. When I got done, I felt really good and wanted to keep going. But my knees were sore, so I stopped. I was really disappointed, and I'm not sure where to go from there. I want to run a 5k next year, but if I can't get past 3 miles....

Any advice would be great. I am thinking about going to a physical therepist?

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
The conventional wisdom on the running thread (c'mon over!) is that when you have knee pain: Replace your shoes with proper running shoes fit at a running store and concentrate on stretching -- warm up, stretch, warm up again, run, cool down, stretch. Make sure to stretch all the muscules supporting your knee. That's calves, thighs, hamstrings, and those things up near your hips (
I know... I'm no help).

·
Premium Member
17,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I definately have to work on the stretching! I usually don't do it at all.
And I probably could use a new pair of running shoes. I think the ones I have are about 3 years old, and they are cross trainers, not running shoes.

I usually get up at 5:30, quietly get dressed, sneak out of the house without waking anyone up, and then drive to where I run. Maybe if I find somewhere closer to jog, I won't have to leave so early!

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
Yep, sounds like new shoes are in order.

Also sounds like a pretty classic "runner's knee" moment. Might be a good time to carefully schedule. If you are looking to run longer per run, maybe do some checking on training schedules at runnersworld.com or some other running site. They have good advice on adding mileage without pain. When I began running, I went through a period where my knees had to get used to the amount of this new activity. Ice and ibuprofen helped, as did careful rest and resisting the desire to run every chance I got.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Also if you can run on dirt vs concert your knees will be much happier. Try running as much as you can on the side of the road.

Also look at your form. Are you overstriding? A good way to check is to run toward someone and have them tell you if they could see the bottom of your shoe. If they can you are overstriding, which is hard on the shins and knees.

Good luck you'll get past this.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1jooj

Also sounds like a pretty classic "runner's knee" moment.
It does sound like runner's knee. I was diagnosed with lateral chondromalacia (runner's knee) when I started exercise after ds was born. Apparently, as a result of the extra weight I carried during pregnancy, my knee caps were pulled laterally. I went through weeks and weeks of physical therapy, and it helped some. I still can only use the elliptical and stationary bike. If I run on the treadmill or outside it can put me out of commission for weeks. You may want to go ahead and see a physical therapist.

·
Premium Member
3,929 Posts
Okay knee experts! I have a question. I hope I'm not hijacking your thread........

I have been strength training and running (elliptical and treadmill) since Sept. I work out pretty regularly.

Just recently my left knee swelled pretty bad. The same leg had shin splints a few months before and I went out and got new shoes about 3 weeks ago. My shin splints in the left leg are perfectly healed. The shoes are Acis and are great!

So anyway, about 2 weeks I took a kick boxing class which I do about 3 times per week. I had a new instructor who didn't put the cardio in the class that I like so I ran for 40 minutes on the treadmill after the hour long kickboxing class (yes, I over did it!). So my knee swells up I guess that day, although I didn't notice until the next day.

I put ice on it and it stayed swollen for about a week. I tried a kickboxing class a week later and had to leave. I tried again a week after that and had to leave since my knee started swelling.

What gives? I did some research about this certain type of knee injury that happens in runners. Sometimes it happens if your quads are weak. Something about the quad not supporting the impact of the knee. That could be it because my quads were tired from the kickboxing class. But trust me, I am in shape. They aren't weak. The article also mentioned that it could be from overuse. Which could be a possibility.

So my question is, how long do I wait and when can I start running again? Am I going to have to give up running? I have been on the elliptical with not to much trouble or problem. Just a little soreness. Nothing like with the kickboxing and running. But I just give up the treadmill. Do I have to?

I apologize for hijacking!!!! Maybe this could be knee thread!

·
Registered
994 Posts
I always crosstrain, biking and running. It's a logical mix, biking strengthens the muscles and area that supports the kneee. If I don't bike, my knees bother me alot more. Also if you have extra weight, it's hard on the knees.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lab

What gives? I did some research about this certain type of knee injury that happens in runners. Sometimes it happens if your quads are weak. Something about the quad not supporting the impact of the knee. That could be it because my quads were tired from the kickboxing class. But trust me, I am in shape. They aren't weak. The article also mentioned that it could be from overuse. Which could be a possibility.

So my question is, how long do I wait and when can I start running again?
What you were reading about was chondromalacia, also known as runner's knee. It is very, very common in female athletes. It isn't always cause by your quads being weak. I would say that most often the cause is overuse. Physical therapy is apparently very successful at treating it. However, I went through weeks and weeks of PT, and it helped temporarily. I still can't run though. If I do it starts right back up. I do 30min of elliptical and 30 min of stationary bike 5 days/week. I've had no problems with it since I completely stopped running. You should see a physical therapist and see what they reccommend since many times it can be cured through PT.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts