Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Somebody please tell me this is just a stage that will pass...
I am much to big and pregnant to go chasing after my little girl every time I set her down! Not that she does it often, but when she does, she just won't listen to me, won't stop, and thinks it's a fun game! What happened to my sweetie-pie who liked to hold Mommy's hand everywhere we went?
I'm starting to understand the reasoning behind those baby-leashes

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
If it's not a phase the we're both in trouble. I think it will pass though. all apart of seeing what kind of reaction they can get out of us, I think(I hope). She even does it around the house when I call her name she just tears out running. She runs if I just want her but she runs faster if she's in trouble about something. Running behnd her with a chunky 6 month old is no fun either, but they both think it's hilarious!

·
Registered
18 Posts
i totally understand what u guys are talking about. I used to not like the idea of the child harness or leash, but 1 time my dd got loose and lost in Mervyn;s at Christmas time, they shut the store down and we found her around the corner in the household section playing w/ towels. But it wa so fast I couldn't believe it! The more u call them the faster they go! Good luck mommas!

Amber- Mommy to Chloe 2yrs 4 mo and married to dh for 4 great yrs!

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Better keep 'em in the stroller and let them know that if they want to get out they must hold onto the stroller and if they go walking away (or running) they must go back in.
This is what i tell my dd since she is a runner too. yes it is a game. she usually comes back if she thinks im not looking for her but who want's to wait while she's behind the clothes in the store and Anyone could grab her??? you must be firm about this and dont budge an inch and i even hold her after she does get away and seriously say " I dont want you to get lost. do you want to get lost?"
play hide and seek and the like later!
Laura

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
This helped when my guy was doing this: We taught him how to play "red light, green light", and then he would stop whenever we said, "red light". We made his game into a game, and then he lost interest when we were relaxed about it. And we have a very stern reaction if his running is dangerous, like near a road or in a crowd. Hope this helps.

L.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I'm pretty relaxed about this game in certain situations, but big department stores freak me out too. In small stores we practice with playing where you can see mommy. In big stores we use the cart or stroller. We have used the "freeze" game but sometimes that just means she'll freeze inside a rack of clothing and I still can't get to her. It was far worse when she was potty learning. For a while she was finished learning at home but when we were out she would go off to find a private place for her accident. Once I figured out the pattern I would take her to the restroom when she started to run off.

I have the hardest time with running away when I'm trying to get her dressed. She thinks that's the time to play the "catch me if you can" game. She laughs and laughs while I get more and more angry. It seems to happen when we're running late more often than not. Now, either that's why we're running late or that's my perception because I'm more aware of the time on those days. I'm hoping it's just a stage too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.