Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I know we have a 'working out' thread... but this question is specifically for you running mamas.<br><br>
My pelvis has been getting quite sore during, but mostly after my runs. I also notice BH contractions a few hours after the run that last for a few hours... nothing painful at all, just the tightening that makes it just a little tougher to breath.<br><br>
What can I do to help my pelvis?<br><br>
I want to make it at least 4 more weeks running.

·
Premium Member
14,501 Posts
you are upping your water intake for both the warming weather and your enlarging baby right? That may have a bit to do with the BH. Running while pregnant really requires that you drink way more water compared to those less active like myself.<br><br>
As for pelvis... I had pelvic pain and just got a support belt. I dont know if they make maternity support belts for running but its worth looking into I suppose!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I'm not running anymore due to severe SPD, but a few of my pregnant running friends swear by the <a href="http://www.prenatalcradle.com/prenatalcradle.htm" target="_blank">prenatal cradle</a>...

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Besides a support belt, my friends who ran (till late in the 3rd tri) were both told by their care providers that their bodies would tell them when to stop. When they were sore afterward, that was fine--it was when the soreness lasted into the next day that they should back off. One friend told me it was VERY clear when her pelvis couldn't handle it any more.

·
Registered
959 Posts
DDCC here-<br><br>
I ran until the day I delivered (a few hours before, actually), so this is a subject near and dear to my heart. I, too, had BH when running, but as long as it doesn't turn into anything painful, regular, timeable it's nothing to worry about.<br><br>
I bought a prenatal cradle and started using it about 7 months in, and it made a HUGE difference- took so much pressure off my pelvis! I also drank a lot of water and saw a chiropractor regularly- I credit regular adjustments to my being able to keep running. Keep in mind that your tendons/ligaments are very loose right now, so that also contributes to what you're experiencing.<br><br>
As long as you feel good, keep going!

·
Registered
147 Posts
DDCC also -<br>
I could only make it running until about 30 weeks. Towards the end, when I went for a run, I couldn't walk by the evening, and had to see the chiropractor the next day in order to function. My chiro said my hip was literally turning backwards, and one time had to call in another chiro to help turn it back because it had literally started to settle in that position! I was hoping to make it longer and felt like quite a failure for not making it to delivery, but my body sent the message loud and clear. Like a PP said, it was VERY clear when I was to be done. And like ein328, my MW was fine with my BH's, as long as they were nothing consistent or painful. Hope you can make it to your goal, but if not, don't beat yourself up too bad!

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am wondering if a prenatal cradle would be worth the money. I am shooting for 30 weeks (which is only 3 more weeks), but I would love to make it to delivery. I am by no means a hardcore runner (or even hard core jogger....) before getting pregnant, I maybe did 15 miles a week at the VERY most. I think it was mostly 8 miles a week.<br><br>
Today was a rough day, the heat combined with the 3 bad nights of sleep (thanks DD). I still made it though.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'm still running. I ran a half marathon at 14w, but have cut down to about 15 mpw (plus yoga plus the <a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325&tag=motheringhud-20&location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FErin-OBriens-Prenatal-Fitness-Fix%2Fdp%2FB000I2J6K0%2Fref%3Dsr_1_1%3Fie%3DUTF8%26s%3Ddvd%26qid%3D1276023537%26sr%3D8-1" target="_blank">Erin DVD</a> plus cycling) since then.<br><br>
I have a <a href="http://www.fitmaternity.com/maternity-clothes/ga003.html" target="_blank">Gabriella</a> and it helps. Worth the $. I'm worried about chafing with it now that it's warmer out, but it's still nice to not waddle/flubber/wiggle so much. I still get round ligament pain right above my pelvis, but my MW says that's just the uterus sitting on it and stretching it. She did recommend doing cat scratch/pelvic rock exercises after running to get the uterus out of the pelvis (that running pounds it down into).<br><br>
I'm definitely slower than I was, but I hope to run right up to 40w!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts