Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of getting one for our new baby due in Feb. We have a waterbed and that's not safe for a newborn. Also, I loved our family bed with dd but I never slept that well and would like some breathing space between me and the new baby, while still keeping it close.<br><br>
I can't find any specs on how long this cosleeper will last for a child except mattress size and age (4 mos). One friend said she thought it would go up to 30 pounds. My dd's 2 and under 30 pounds still.<br><br>
How long do you think I could realisitically use the cosleeper? If it's just for 4 mos. like the website says then it's not worth the $$-- I'll just sleep on a mattress on the floor. If it's longer then I want to buy it.<br><br>
Thanks for any input you can give on this product.<br><br>
Darshani

·
Registered
344 Posts
I think the weight is 30 lbs. The 4 month time frame is because an older baby could climb out of it since the sides are not high.<br><br>
We are still using it and dd is 9 months and can pull herself up.<br>
We actually just recently started using it because the bed was too crowded and dd would not sleep in her crib.<br>
What we did was place the cosleeper in a corner of the room so 2 sides are up against the wall. The open side is attached to the bed and at the bottom open side of the cosleeper we put a folded up fuuton mattress and some pillows so if dd were to wake up and decide to crawl out, she would land on the futon.<br><br>
I put the monitor on full blast and run up to check her when I hear a lot of movement. So far so good...<br>
At night, she wakes up and crawls over to me to nurse and I wake up at her slightest movement so I am not worried.<br><br><br>
This is not ideal, but I think it is pretty safe all things considered.<br><br>
It is working for us, but if you have a crib, you might find that if you side car your crib it may be safer? We tried that and dd refused it too! For some odd reason she just seems to like the cosleeper!

·
Registered
568 Posts
We have one for a similar reason (queen size air mattress).... We kept dd in the top part until she was crawling and then just took the top part off and she still sleeps in the bottom part. That happened way before 30 lbs, but she is petite.<br><br>
She *loves* her bed. I'm trying to get her into her "big girl bed" now (she's 2) but she still loves the cosleeper.

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input so far! Good to hear you use them beyond four months. We don't own a crib so the sidecar option is out-- besides our waterbed is only 18 inches off the ground. The Universal Arm's Reach will fit though.<br><br>
Keep the input coming, and thanks again.<br><br>
Darshani

·
Registered
132 Posts
The weight limit is 30 pounds and like the other poster said, if they start being a little too active, you can move the mattress down to the bottom (AKA play yard) setting.<br><br>
We love ours - it keeps him close by at night, I can nurse him and put him back into 'his' bed w/o having to trek across the house.<br><br>
Also - the Nojo brand play yard sheets will fit the matress, so you don't necessarily have to buy two Arms Reach sheets.<br><br>
I found the best price and free shipping at <a href="http:" target="_blank">www.babycenter.com,</a> fwiw.<br><br><span style="font-family:'monotype corsiva';">Barbara</span>

·
Registered
394 Posts
We had an Arm's Reach but honestly never really used it. I didn't find it very easy to move DS from it to our bed to nurse or snuggle or whatever b/c the mattress on its highest setting was quite a few inches lower than our mattress. You can't really 'slide' the baby to and away from you.<br><br>
And after DS started sitting up (4 mos? 5 mos?) and pulling up it scared me to think of him falling out and we couldn't push it up against a corner so we stopped using it entirely, but I think Acugirl's system sounds good for reducing this risk (essentially creating the same effect as the high rails on a side car crib).<br><br>
If you put the arm's reach mattress on the low play yard setting there's really no way that babe can climb out of it, but you'd still have to get up and out of bed to put your baby in and out of it b/c the walls would be up.<br><br>
I saw a couple of listings for co-sleepers in the TP recently, you might try there if you decide to get one. I think one was selling for $75 maybe?<br><br>
HTH!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts