Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you use it on fb's and other pockets? How much do you use? Do you wash first, then use bleach in the rinse, or use it in a second cycle? TIA!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Using a tiny amount is perfectly safe. I have heard to sanitize you should use 1 tbsp (1 capful) per 2 gallons of water. So once you figure out how much water your washer uses then you know how much bleach.

I add 1-2 capfuls to the cold water, mix, and then throw in my dipes and do a short-med. cold wash. Then I do my hot wash/warm rinse with detergent. I add the bleach to the water first so my dipes won't get spotty, and cold water seems to work best for bleaching.

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
Mix the bleach into the wash water, and run at least one extra time through (full cycle because we use the laundromat)

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
You do NOT want to use bleach in the rinse, btw - that stuff is very caustic and you want it all rinsed out of the diapers before you put them back on your child, not leaving the residue there to burn thier skin.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
When I used to get stinky hemp, I'd occasionally wash with 1 cup of bleach, then run another hot cycle afterward to make sure all bleach was washed out and/or denarured by the hot water. Now that I have a front loader with sanitary cycle, I have no stink

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by LizaBear
You do NOT want to use bleach in the rinse, btw - that stuff is very caustic and you want it all rinsed out of the diapers before you put them back on your child, not leaving the residue there to burn thier skin.
I totally agree with you on this, you want that stuff rinsed out. Funny, but I am a big fan of Charlie's Soap, but they suggest adding bleach to the rinse cycle if you must use it... That does not make sense to me since I really feel that bleach makes fabrics stiff and need to be rinsed out completely.

So I just add the bleach to my first wash with cold water and use the Charlie's the second hot water rinse.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.